Icelandic Chickens

Here's some pictures of my Icee's

Why on the roo coming down the ramp his tail feathers are white?

Icee hen squaring off with an EE
love.gif

I was lucky enough to get a starter flock of Icelandics this past month. I think I am in love with them with so many beautiful colors and patterns.

This is Fridrik

Maeja

Svana

Frida

Jana

No one is laying right now since they finished molting not long ago, but hoping to hatch some to extend this little flock. Some of my other breeds will probably be finding new homes, because the Icelandics are just too fascinating!
Very nice flock you have there! Love Fridrik....he is quite the handsome rooster.

Coldupnorth, love your flock! You are lucky to have a white one. Mine are all varying shades of browns and reds. I really hope to hatch out a black, blue, or white chick! Your Maeja looks similar to my Flekka. Cutie <3

Mahonri, I'm sorry for your hand, but it sounds like your broody is being a good mama
smile.png
I eagerly anticipate your pictures
pop.gif

And I am also grateful to those who have helped to get the Icelandic breed into the states. From what I understand, most of my birds have heritage from Sheriff Mary's flock. Aaand I don't remember who else.........but I love them. Mary's picture of the first Icelandic rooster that flew into her yard is stunning. I fell in love with him, and it really made me interested in the breed. What eye candy these chickens are! And their personalities are fantastic, imo.

Coldupnorth, love your flock! You are lucky to have a white one. Mine are all varying shades of browns and reds. I really hope to hatch out a black, blue, or white chick! Your Maeja looks similar to my Flekka. Cutie <3

Mahonri, I'm sorry for your hand, but it sounds like your broody is being a good mama
smile.png
pop.gif

And I am also grateful to those who have helped to get the Icelandic breed into the states. From what I understand, most of my birds have heritage from Sheriff Mary's flock. Aaand I don't remember who else.........but I love them. Mary's picture of the first Icelandic rooster that flew into her yard is stunning. I fell in love with him, and it really made me interested in the breed. What eye candy these chickens are! And their personalities are fantastic, imo.
Actually, the bird that flew into Mary's yard was a hen, Stella, and she still has her. Stella not only inspired Mary, but many of us to look into these incredible chickens. Thankfully, Stella was, and is, a Viking spirit and loves to travel. Her travels brought her to Mary, and by way of Mary, brought Icelandic chickens to many of us. I am thankful for that. I love my Viking hens.........and roosters!

smile.png
pop.gif

Thanks! I love the variations too. The breeder who I got these from said that the white didn't start showing up in his original breeding flock until a couple of years ago. He's had them for 9 years, so there was a recessive white gene that finally got put together and came out in the beautiful white one. We named her Svana (swan) for her coloring.
big_smile.png

I am really looking forward to learning more about them and raising more.

Actually, the bird that flew into Mary's yard was a hen, Stella, and she still has her. Stella not only inspired Mary, but many of us to look into these incredible chickens. Thankfully, Stella was, and is, a Viking spirit and loves to travel. Her travels brought her to Mary, and by way of Mary, brought Icelandic chickens to many of us. I am thankful for that. I love my Viking hens.........and roosters!
Nicely put - the resilience and beauty of these landrace chickens would make the Vikings proud. (No not my Minnesota Vikings, Ugh!)

This is Orri, which is a name for male poultry in Old Icelandic. He is almost four months old.

34566_orri.jpg

Ah, I had some of my facts crossed. My mistake! Stella is indeed lovely. The one I kept thinking of that caught my eye was this fine gentleman. I must not have read Sheriff Mary's post in its entirety - I got too distracted by the beautiful pictures
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom