Icelandic Chickens

I think the heat here has been hard on the chicks, even with shade and water. I lost the little one this morning. I can't get my pictures to upload right now, but I think I have three boys and a girl left (including the Leghorn mix)

Is there any way to ID a chick as Icelandic? I had everyone separated in the incubator, but I had some basket jumpers hatch while at work, so I'm stymied. The other chicks are mutts, and I want to make sure I can at least tell the icies as adults! Thanks for your help!

Icelandics have a certain look about them and are fairly small as adults, like how a Polish chicken is small next to a BR. I hate to say it, but if you aren't 100% certain a bird is Icelandic, I would just consider it a mix.

Hello, this is such a fascinating chicken, would there happen to be anyone close to Western, Mass. With a few chicks or maybe a young trio, for sale ?? Thanks John

The Icie chicks are amazingly active right from hatching, so it is not at all surprising, Eleda, that you had basket jumpers. Unfortunately, I agree with RedIll, I think you have to view them as mixed breeds now.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Hi everyone - I've been stalking for a while. My Icelandic chicks hatched today! 15 in the photo, but 2 more have hatched since. One egg left, but thinking 17 may be the final count. I'm in love with them already. They're all different! From completely blonde to black with silver flecks, and just about everything in between.
love.gif
So much more exciting to me that I don't know what they'll look like as they age. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this endeavor.

Welcome to the Icelandic thread!
frow.gif

Cute chicks and nice variety!!
I will be looking forward to seeing more pictures of them as they grow.

Welcome, LittleChickSpy! Looks like you got an excellent batch to start with, yay! They are so much fun to watch grow and change. You will be addicted :)

Back
Top Bottom