Icelandic Chickens

^ I vote boy on this one. Just sayin'
hide.gif

hard to believe the feather growth on them....this was taken at 13-14 days after hatching

love.gif

How on earth did I become the "expert" on sexing?
th.gif

Just bad luck, hehe
wink.png

Here is a picture of our little flock hero, an Icelandic cockerel hatched last summer:

Yesterday, my wife and I were just finishing putting new bedding down for the goats, I hear a commotion outside. I look out the door and this guy is mixing it up with a juvenile red tail hawk. The hawk flew away, I look around, all the hens were under cover, with the other roosters standing guard. I wish one of the older roosters with some nice spurs would have gotten the hawk, but I didn't loose any. Hopefully that hawk learned that chickens aren't the easy meal he expected.

Yay for Braveheart!

ok, so today i was watching my chicks and I noticed that my icelandic makes a much different sounding 'peep' than the other chicks. Do you find this with your icee babies? My full grown icelandic rooster have a very distinct high pitch crow that is much different than my other breeds, maybe this has something to do with it?

I dont know about shrill but they have life for sure ! I'll be listening closer this year, also will have some others to compare to, Chanteclers and I hope some Delawares. Both are strong vigorous breeds.

My Icelandic rooster and cockerels have a higher pitch to their crow than my New Hampshire cockerel. The Java rooster I used to have also had a lower pitch than the Icelandics.
The Icelandics do seem, to me, to have a unique "language". The two times I incubated the Icelandics and Javas together, they were kept in the brooder and then grow-out together and everything was done to them as an entire group. The Icelandics always ended up hanging together. The very first Icelandics I hatched were under a broody SLWyandotte and there were two Java eggs and ten Icelandic eggs under her. All ten Icelandics hatched and one Java hatched. The one Java was a white pullet. She wanted so badly to be like them, they were faster and could fly up higher than she could, but she did everything she could to keep up with them. When she went to live at a friend's with the other Javas, I sent one of her Icelandic hatchmates with her.

Back
Top Bottom