Icelandic Chickens

Deb you have some stunning youngsters there, I am really looking forward to seeing more pics as they mature,

and fwiw I would be very interested in a creasted feather legged rooster !

I took some updated pictures of the eight chicks (5 boys/3 girls). I still need to shrink them down, but wanted to post a couple of shots of the hairdoos!

Deb
I love her!!!!
love.gif

I never realized how much the crests would appeal to me.....maybe it's a product of graduating high school in '88 when the girls had Big Bang Poofs or the bangs were flipped up
lol.png
the 80s music was awesome but the styles/fads were really bad
roll.png
So that's what it is! I miss the big hair
tongue.png

Deb you have some stunning youngsters there,
X100!

barnie.gif
Oh noes! I came home from work today and spent a little while supervising the chickens while they ranged, since they've been stuck in the run until the turkeys get moved. I haven't been able to spend much time with my chickens since I started a new job last month, and it gets dark right around when I come home.

Well, anyway, I put one of the cockerels out with the ladies, since he's healed enough that he's okay. I was walking up to the house and caught sight of someone doing their manly thing with my Icelandic pullet, Flekka. It was my mom's BR cockerel! Dangit! I was afraid he was going to do this to me. That dodo-brained Icee cockerel has never shown any interest in the Icee pullets - he always goes for the big girls. This BR is deformed and has never seemed to care about courting or mating, but I knew he might be sneaking around when I wasn't looking.

So now I have to separate all three of my pullets until March, and they're going to hate me for it. Awww man, I was really looking forward to collecting eggs in a couple of weeks!

Last edited:
forgot my phone cord to download the pics but will leave you with these two crested ones till tomorrow

Cute - looks like 2 boys in the picture on the right.
Those are near perfect ! Just what I want !! Can I buy her eggs??? For the next year?
I don't have an Icelandic Rooster Jake, so eggs are out of the question. If I didn't love her so, I'd send her to you.

I took some updated pictures of the eight chicks (5 boys/3 girls). I still need to shrink them down, but wanted to post a couple of shots of the hairdoos!

Deb
That girl is going to be stunning!

So excited I just set eggs from mary(not a farm)s line that originated from Sigrid thordorson and behl lines with my sand hills that came from lyle behls line! I have three breeding pens and they are all so gorgeous I can't wait to see what I get!

So excited I just set eggs from mary(not a farm)s line that originated from Sigrid thordorson and behl lines with my sand hills that came from lyle behls line! I have three breeding pens and they are all so gorgeous I can't wait to see what I get!
Hi Joy!!!
frow.gif
Long time no see! ........and we can't wait to see some pics of your flock.......and new chicks when they arrive!

Hi mary! Glad to be back and able to concentrate on my chicks again! They have wintered fabulously, these tough little birds! You must have a new grand baby by now? Congrats, pictures to come of my flock! What do you have cooking?

So glad to see you back with us!

No incubating for me until March 20. I will be setting my first eggs on the first day of Spring this year.....maybe I'll make it a tradition. Any earlier and I have to have chicks inside the house and the DH frowns on that.
roll.png
I'll be letting the Icelandics finish some of what I start in the incubator if they go broody during that time. I hope that will keep numbers I have to have in the garage brooder to a minimum..........plus I love to watch the hens with the chicks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom