Icelandic Chickens

I am sorry for your loss, Red. I have worried it may be too hot here for Icelandics (chickens and the sheep that are coming in a couple of weeks).
I nearly lost my sultan last week on one of the cooler days so far this summer. She is a flake, and laid right down to pant in direct sunlight, when there was plenty of shade and water available. Luckily, I was outside. It was normal dinnertime for us, so I wouldn't have normally be therecto save her.

LittleChickSpy, I'm glad you saw her! I have heard that Sultans are a more fragile breed, but they're sure pretty to look at.

So far as the heat goes with these birds, I am very hopeful of one of my chicks right now. She is almost pure black and has been going out in the sunlight without being bothered at all by the heat. I hope this bodes good things. I have another chick that is definitely not a hot weather bird, though, and I have been misting them in the afternoon to help them cool off.

The eggs are hatching! There's three so far! These are my first Icelandics that I've hatched. I cant wait to see what colours they grow up to be!

Last edited:
Anyone in the Colorado Springs area interested in a nice Icelandic cockerel. He's just started crowing and trying to breed my hens. He would be beautiful except he had an accident as a chick and had to have the skin on his neck sewn back together by the vet. We call him "Stitch" ;) I hatched him from eggs I purchased from David Grote at Whippoorwill Farm and Studio. I have a couple of straight-run chicks also available. They've been outside since hatching being raised by my broody hens and don't need heat any longer. Just PM me if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom