Icelandic Chickens

Greybear, I'm sorry to hear that
sad.png
Sounds like you've had a bit of rotten luck, I hope it improves. How old was your hen?

Muscovie Lover, speaking of avatars, yours made me laugh.
Thanks, Red3, I hatched them last spring from eggs from Kathy and NAF Mary!!! I really am a fan of Blue chickens, i have them in several breeds!!! Things will turn around somehow, i am very optimistic and don't give up easy, I will set eggs from the Blue Rooster I have and my three hens I have left and somewhere along the way the Blue will come out again, this fall I would like to get some more eggs from someone to hatch out for hopefully a few more hens!!! I still have seven hens setting on eggs in the barn and some are Icelandics so maybe a Blue sooner than I think!!! Lynn
cool.png

Hey NAF Mary those are beautiful Day lillies, my favorite flowers are Iris, Day Lillies, Cannas and Roases, pretty much i that order, I did not bring stats with me when we moved but our last place I had over 40 colors of Iris, 7 cloros of Cannas an several Day lillies and a huge Stella Day ora!!! I had more time on my hands before we moved and had a very well manicured yard with lots of flowerbeds, not much time for that here yet, maybe some day!!! Kathy, liked the video, one thing I can add to it from experience is to keep a big piece of sidewalk chalk handy after poppin the spur off and rub the chalk on it, it will help with the bleeding or you can do it by the moon sign and it helps with bleeding. It is not hard to do most times, some of the roosters with huge spurrs you may had to wrap a hot wet rag around it for a little bit to soften and help it pop loose. Lynn

well Kathy is not squeamish - I looked at the photo and saw the blood(y) vessells and was ready to puke. Does it cause alot of screaming(from bird- not you) and bleeding???I heard some people use a hot potato and just twist it off. I'm thinking it's a bigger struggle than clipping a dog's nails.

I watched the video with partly squinted eyes - the man said you don't get more than a drop of blood. Bah!! while he was holding the roo, I saw a few drops slide down -one after another and then he wrapped it in tissue(??) and you could see blood. But I didn't faint. HIs bird must be used to alot of kind handling because it didn't struggle or let our one peep. I was very impressed with that.

Back
Top Bottom