Icelandic Chickens

The eggs have cleared USDA inspection and customs and have been dropped off at the farm that will be hatching them. Here is the magic stamp that all the fuss is about. Cannot tell you how happy I was to see this blob of ink hit the Health Certificate:

Mlmddh, I'd be happy to give you a spare roo if I have one, but I haven't the faintest clue how to get it to you.

Karimw, me too!

Greybear23, thanks but I have no thunder on this forum as I sometimes make controversial posts. I'm just keeping a few people updated regarding my importation. Speaking of unpopular posts, there is a big debate in Iceland whether leg feathering is part of the original genome, many of the old timers say it's a sign of mixing, some say the feathers on the outside of the upper part of the leg are OK, and others completely disagree and desire legfeathering and think it is beautiful and should be accepted.

Here is the webpage of one of the old timers that had one of the foundation flock from which Dr. Aðalsteinsson (who passed in 2009) collected eggs http://www.simnet.is/andres/haenur.htm and he says: "Íslenskar hænur eru hvorki með fiðraða fætur eða vangaskegg en ég vil benda á að dverghænur sem lengi hafa verið til víða um land og blandast íslenskum hænum mjög auðveldlega eru mjög gjarnan með þannig fiðurlag og sömuleiðis með mjög fjölbreyttar kambgerðir." or loosely translated "Icelandic chickens have neither feathered feet or beards, but I want to point out that dwarf hens which have long existed throughout the country and mix with domestic poultry very easily very often have this feathering, as well as a very diverse combs."
As you can tell from the pictures on the site, the breed used to be very dark. This man provided 104 eggs to Dr. Aðalsteinsson, or 28% of all collected eggs, and 48 hatchlings, or 60% of the hatchlings collected by Dr. Aðalsteinsson. Just wanted to toss this in here in case somebody found this interesting.

Here are two photos of the foundation flock I got my import from. They are in isolation while the eggs are being collected so excuse the mess and poop has to be allowed to build up for the salmonella test. The flock is 10 hens and 2 roos (one red and one cream).

These pictures don't do the birds justice, they are totally gorgeous and from a very pure and well managed flock. Here they've been cooped up for 2 weeks or more due to the import regulations.

Thanks to everyone that gave me moral support in this endeavour. Please keep your fingers crossed for me and pray for a good hatch!!
That's wonderful. It will be a long 20+ days, I hope you have a great hatch. The flock is gorgeous, but I feel bad they had to be enclosed, chickens belong outside. The leg feathering and dwarfs is certainly something I hope you can keep us informed about, maybe I need to learn the Icelandic language. My wife has an Aunt and Uncle living in Washington, if a rooster really did become available, maybe she would go visit them and handle the transport. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

ETA - Welcome Home !

Last edited:
First, I just wanted share that I found a study that claims that some leg feathering was found in the Aðalsteinsson preservatin flock, but they don't say anything about the extent. http://skemman.is/is/stream/get/1946/12433/30835/1/BS_%C3%81sta_%C3%9Eorsteinsd%C3%B3ttir_minni.pdf It says there are three types of leg feathering genes found in Iceland (not just the settlement chicken), two are dominant and one recessive. Out of 8 Icelandic settlement chicken farms visited, 3 farms had chickens with leg feathering. Seems like it is safe to assume that at least the unfeathered legs and a small amount of leg feathering are acceptable in pure birds. Most people agree on this in Iceland, but not all, and there is a debate going on regarding birds with heavier leg feathering, especially on the front, back, and between the toes. Not everyone agrees they are pure, so further data collection is needed.

NotAFarm, Thank you very much. I am not familiar with the dwarf hens that the author speaks of, the only description I could find was on a thread in the ERL forum (Icelandic Owners and Breeders Assoc.) where they are described as somewhat similar to Icelandic settlement chickens, only smaller and with feathered legs. I am guessing these may be birds from Denmark, but that is just a guess. With respect to the combs the study above says single combs are most common, then rose, pea, and walnut combs. It also says that v-combs, buttercup, cushion, and strawberry are never found, although some rose or pea combs might look a bit like cushion and strawberry combs. Also, no comb (breda) is not found in the settlement chicken.

Cooper12, Thank you. I've not calculated the cost yet since I haven't gotten all the bills. The whole thing has been extremely expensive, especially since I went and picked the eggs up myself. I almost don't want to know...!

welasharon and tbitt, thank you!

Deb, Naselle is about 3 hours drive away, I'm just outside of Seattle. I'd love to place my spare roos with other Icelandic breeders. I'm interested to see how your rooster turns out, I think most breeders agree that feathering on the outside of the leg is normal, although some select against it and others for, a matter of taste, which thankfully differs!

RedIII, thank you :)

That's wonderful. It will be a long 20+ days, I hope you have a great hatch. The flock is gorgeous, but I feel bad they had to be enclosed, chickens belong outside. The leg feathering and dwarfs is certainly something I hope you can keep us informed about, maybe I need to learn the Icelandic language. My wife has an Aunt and Uncle living in Washington, if a rooster really did become available, maybe she would go visit them and handle the transport. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

ETA - Welcome Home !

Thank you so much for the well wishes. I felt bad for the flock of origin as well. To be fair, their isolation coop was fairly spacious with nice and airy tall ceilings but I could tell they wanted to go outside. I take comfort in that their outdoor access has been restored now.

I'm still reading up on the work done with respect to the Icelandic chicken but once I've gotten a good overview I'd like to try to write some compilations, in English. Better information means better decisions!

I'm due to pick up the chicks the first weekend in August, I'll post the results of the hatch then, with photos. We will see soon enough how many are roosters. My track record right now is 6 roosters out of 9 eggs, so I'm hoping for a change in the tide!

I found the owner...
smile.png
i didn't want it to get hurt... She is home safe and sound.
Great news

First, I just wanted share that I found a study that claims that some leg feathering was found in the Aðalsteinsson preservatin flock, but they don't say anything about the extent. http://skemman.is/is/stream/get/1946/12433/30835/1/BS_%C3%81sta_%C3%9Eorsteinsd%C3%B3ttir_minni.pdf It says there are three types of leg feathering genes found in Iceland (not just the settlement chicken), two are dominant and one recessive. Out of 8 Icelandic settlement chicken farms visited, 3 farms had chickens with leg feathering. Seems like it is safe to assume that at least the unfeathered legs and a small amount of leg feathering are acceptable in pure birds. Most people agree on this in Iceland, but not all, and there is a debate going on regarding birds with heavier leg feathering, especially on the front, back, and between the toes. Not everyone agrees they are pure, so further data collection is needed.

NotAFarm, Thank you very much. I am not familiar with the dwarf hens that the author speaks of, the only description I could find was on a thread in the ERL forum (Icelandic Owners and Breeders Assoc.) where they are described as somewhat similar to Icelandic settlement chickens, only smaller and with feathered legs. I am guessing these may be birds from Denmark, but that is just a guess. With respect to the combs the study above says single combs are most common, then rose, pea, and walnut combs. It also says that v-combs, buttercup, cushion, and strawberry are never found, although some rose or pea combs might look a bit like cushion and strawberry combs. Also, no comb (breda) is not found in the settlement chicken.

Cooper12, Thank you. I've not calculated the cost yet since I haven't gotten all the bills. The whole thing has been extremely expensive, especially since I went and picked the eggs up myself. I almost don't want to know...!

welasharon and tbitt, thank you!

Deb, Naselle is about 3 hours drive away, I'm just outside of Seattle. I'd love to place my spare roos with other Icelandic breeders. I'm interested to see how your rooster turns out, I think most breeders agree that feathering on the outside of the leg is normal, although some select against it and others for, a matter of taste, which thankfully differs!

RedIII, thank you :)
some costs are better left unkown

Good morning! Well we missed out on the rain here in North Central Oklahoma yesterday but have 10% chance today!!! Whoooo Hooo! well it's better than none! Icelander the information you provided is very interesting!!! Thanks for all your efforts thus far! Also NotaFarm Mary I quote you "I also like the design of the feeder pictured above. Very simple and functional.

Seinna, The Other Mary" I have some feeders that are very similar! Mine are homemade! I took some old (from garage sales) 4 quart pans and a piece of 6 inch PVC pipe about 3 foot long and attached the pot with ire thru holes drilled in the pot and pipe after getting the depth i wanted. pretty simple and works great, drilled holes in the top of the pipe and used wire to hang it from the rafters in my hen houses. Sorry for the bold print, don't know how to change it!!! Lynn

Back
Top Bottom