idea for freeze proof waterer

droopy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
i was wondering if anyone has tried the "moving water won't freeze"theory with nipple waterers? i have a food grade 55 gallon plastic drum and being a boiler repair guy can get a used circulator pump pretty easily. i was thinking if i ran maybe 1.5" pvc supply from the bottom of the barrel thru a loop that went into the coop with a few nipples on it and then back to return into the upper side of the barrell. hoping that the moving water won't cause the nipples to leak and the water splashing back into a half full barrell would keep it from freezing. water will probably be moving at 3-5 gallons per minute. so what do ya think? will i have issues?

ty

the chickens would never see the moving water as it would be inside of pvc pipes that have nipple waterers screwed into them. my biggest worry would be that the nipples would leak

I would think the still water in the nipple itself would freeze. Not sure though.

I'd agree with that

You could have 100 gallons flowing , but if the ONE DROP at the tip of the nipple freezes, it wont work

I think you'd be better off to use a much smaller pump and a heater of some sort to keep the temp just above freezing​

It would depend on where you live and how cold it got. Here I've tossed water out of a bucket and had it freeze before it hit the ground.

Whether the moving water would freeze or not, the water not moving would freeze. Think of an icycle. That is moving water, but enough of it is not moving that you can get a pretty big icycle.

This is another one that where you live and your situation makes a difference. You can see where I live in my profile. It does sometimes get colder but normally not colder than single digits here. This photo was taked at 8* F. I use a black rubber dish. In the mornings I turn it over and stomp out the ice, then fill it with water. Being rubber, it does not break. If I then put it in the sun, it normally stays thawed all day. Some days it will freeze up, but not often. I'm home and I can check on it. These low tech solutions are not as much fun, but I do believe in simplicity.

22249_8deg.jpg

I have to make sure my animals are okay for the day before the sun comes up in the colder months as I am up beore the sun and come home in the dark. This past winter I picked up a electric dog water bowl at my feed store for under 30.00. Just a simple blue plastic water bowl that has a low watt warming coil on the bottom. For me it was money well spent
smile.png
and it has become a a favorite water dish for the chickens. I keep it fulll and water fresh. The only down side would be you have to plug it in. We are so happy with it I am actually going to get one for the dogs now!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom