Ideal no longer carries dyed easter ducks and chicks :(

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
This makes me sad. I guess they were getting a lot of flack from...people.
sad.png
Does anyone know of any other hatcheries that still do carry them? I recall a hatchery in Alaska, and Stromberg's at one point drop shipped them from somewhere, too, but that was it. Anyone know of any?

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad they stopped dying those babies! Doing so is a gimmick to create a market for unwanted roosters. Living animals are not toys to be tossed away when the fun is gone. They are living animals who deserve to live a life as nature designed.

Hey did you know HOW they only have DYED cockerels? Obviously it isn't injected into the egg. They sex the chicks (which are normally colored when they hatch, btw). And then they put food coloring on the cockerels. You can't tell me you haven't written on a letter in sharpie, or put a strip of paint on a chicks back just to watch their individual performance of that chick. And it didn't harm him. Food coloring last time I checked didn't hurt anyone. I think that's why we put it...IN OUR FOOD.
I agree people shouldn't view animals as disposable toys. But coming from someone who's had birds for over a decade now, and has spent more thanmy fair shair leading 4-H meetings and in feed stores, if they're going to be flakey and buy chicks when they shouldn't, they will whether they are dyed or natural colored. It's ridiculous! The same thing for rabbits and ducklings too. The rabbits end up at the pound, or turned loose. The ducklings eventually end up at the pond at high end neighborhood, begging for bread. And the chickens end up on craigslist. People don't teach their children to be responsible. That's not food coloring's fault--it's irresponsible parenting.
HOLLYWOOD: Ideal doesn't color that way. I also would shudder at direct inject dye. Ideal dyes babies with food coloring after hatch.

Last edited:
Quote:
Honestly I didn't know chicks could be dyed topically! I thought it was all done in-shell because topically would wash off too easily.

(edit: a natural topical dye, I mean, would wash off easily... I'm guessing anything that dyes a chicken for a couple weeks is probably not natural.)

Why not order chicks, blend up some beets and dip them in beet juice? Might work...

Last edited:
By 2003 I was hatching things. But I'd had birds for a while before that. You could be right, it could be 9 years. 2001 to 2011 would equal 10 years. 2002 to 2011 would equal nine. If my sleep deprived brain has added right. I'm not attemping to be rude, I'm just saying it the way it is. Sorry if it was taken otherwise
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom