Ideal Poultry v.s. Meyer Hatchery

If you are just looking for birds for eggs or looks that you are not showing I get local when I can. In my area there are a couple of people that can hatch what you ask or fund them. For me a hatchery order is mostly for one stop shopping and young people that can not really deal with adults. I have a myer order with a hatch date a of 3/2/15 because my 10 year could pick what he wanted and match hatch dates. Makes it a one stop shop. Just my opinion. Local is best, but may not be on stop shopping. Also the hatcheries have a large selection but hatch dates often do not match so that you can get what you want in one order. Just becuase they sell them does mean that they have them. I choose Meyer over Ideal only becuase the birds that he wanted Meyers had more on one hatch date. Also if you are looking for certain breeds they may sell out of many rare breeds early. They are taking orders now for 2015 and some are sold for 2015.

Thanks to all of you for your candid advice. I'm looking at different sources for chicks for 2015, and you have armed me with information to make a (hopefully) good purchase. Happy New Year to all the BYC community.

Just ordered 25 assorted bantams from Ideal and my last batch was from them, I've been happy so far. My cornish games are really nice, and my silkies were not so pretty haha...but almost any hatchery silkie will be "ugly". What breeds are you looking for?
Can I see pics of your Cornish. My experience with ideal has always been good I definantly recommend them.

Oh yes! The rooster does not attack anyone at all! He is a little flighty, and doesn't want me to touch him, but he never fights and likes to be a good little look out for everyone else. The other two let me touch them and pick them up but for short amounts of time because they like to eat lol. They also eat out of my hand a lot. None of them pick at me or flog me, and they actually come running up to me when I approach the run.

Back
Top Bottom