Hatchery Waiting List- Is this Normal?!

May 21, 2022
Tennessee
We are looking to expand our flock. So started browsing the Hatcheries websites.
I saw a comment on a post a few days ago stating that the hatcheries are booked up till mid-summer or something odd.
But sure enough browsing Cackle, Murray McMurray, Hoovers & Meyers; they're all the way out till Sept for one of the chicks delivery dates.

Is this seriously because of the egg shortage?!
We were hoping to get some specific breeds/types but it's looking like if we want some more it's going to just be whatever the local Co-op, TSC & Rural King have to offer.

I put in an order at Mt Healthy last week. Earliest date was May 10 for my breeds. They do have earlier dates for some breeds. Not bad when most of the bigger hatcheries are already sold out until late summer. This is not normal. If you need something earlier keep an eye on FB and CL. Unfortunately you will be dealing with straight run and barnyard mixes mostly if you really want a specific breed pullet. I suspect there are many people looking to take advantage of the egg situation and you might find some nice pullets on CL in 2 months.

We are looking to expand our flock. So started browsing the Hatcheries websites.
I saw a comment on a post a few days ago stating that the hatcheries are booked up till mid-summer or something odd.
But sure enough browsing Cackle, Murray McMurray, Hoovers & Meyers; they're all the way out till Sept for one of the chicks delivery dates.

Is this seriously because of the egg shortage?!
We were hoping to get some specific breeds/types but it's looking like if we want some more it's going to just be whatever the local Co-op, TSC & Rural King have to offer.
Ideal has a march date open with a fair number of breeds and then not until june

Back
Top Bottom