IDEAL POULTRY VS CACKLE HATCHERY

These chicks are my own aseel/game chicks cross.

BEWARE of Cackle Hatchery! I've ordered chicks from ideal, mcmurray, and privett. The worst chicks came from Cackle. I ordered 15 chicks (english game) and all I ended up with was 4 and one has a lazy eye. I paid about $8.00 a chick and was disappointed. I'll never buy from them again. I can only guess that there must be either in breeding or just poor unhealthy birds.

I didn't get any OEGB but I did order chicks from Meyers Dec 17th 15 in the lot and ordered 18 from Cackle. Meyers were shipped and I drove an hour to pick up at Cackle.

By the second day I was down to eight chicks from the Meyers. All are very strong and healthy that survived.

The Cackle chicks are about to be two weeks old. They gave me two extra chicks and I ended adding four more to that. All 24 chicks are healthy and alive.

I did not have a problem with either company as far as customer service all were polite and patient. When I went to Cackle the only issue I had was with a new retail clerk there who didn't know that gift certificates should not be charged tax and that I wasn't going to pay the tax twice. But she offered to get her supervisor and wasn't impolite and didn't lose her patience in a nasty way. When the supervisor corrected the issue the clerk was apologetic. One of these young new girls did say why we were there you could keep chicks with ducklings. That's a big no. It should have been a no go from the start but I cannot say no to my girlfriend. So I also picked up three ducklings from Cackle 2 Cayugas and a Peking and all three are healthy and super growers.

I think because they are near us and the quality of their stock has been superior I will go with Cackle from now on.

I also think that my shipment from Meyers coming in winter like it did was part of the problem. Though some of the mannerisms looked a like a disease.

I use an ecoglow as well. I really like what the ecoglow provides versus a heat lamp. But mind you I have an ecoglow 50 and have never brooded more than 24 using them.

I am still learning and new to brooding stage. This is only my second brood. I had some pullets just out of the brood last year and they did great with all the heat.

If you want to see some of cackles breeder flocks, go on youtube and type in cackle hatchery breeder flock videos to see a bunch of their flocks. Also I ordered the frypan special from them and I recieved 26 chicks when it was in the teens at night, they are around 10 weeks old now, weigh 2-3 lbs each and are all alive and look pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom