Ideas for how to cover food/water trays at night

purslanegarden

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2016
I knew it was a matter of time but I now see evidence of rodents visiting my pigeon coop at night, taking food and water as well, I'm sure.

I pretty much can only think of every night, having to go cover up the food and water trays with some kind of heavy bucket/pail/diy container of some sort, but are there are ideas that I'm not quite thinking of that might be better?

What other ideas has anyone used for how to prevent rodents from getting free food and water and basically deciding that this area is a great area to live in and raise a big family?

Thanks!

This is the 100% best feeder out there! Completely water proof, weather proof, tip over proof, spill proof, and rat proof! Once you try it you will never go back! It keeps the birds from spilling, which reduces the waste a lot! Plus it holds a bunch off food! As long as your pigeons are 1lb they can use it. It is metal, so super durable, and it doesn't rust! You could leave it out in the rain, and the food would stay dry, and safe! This website should answer all you questions! https://www.grandpasfeeders.com/faqs/ You can also purchase from that website, but be aware, that they are shipping from either New Zealand, Australia, or Europe so if you live in Washington, like me, then it will take a month plus to arrive. Mine took about a month arrive. You will not regret buying this product!
Ps. I know I sound like a grandpas feeder sales man! I am just one happy customer! 😁

Last edited:
I knew it was a matter of time but I now see evidence of rodents visiting my pigeon coop at night, taking food and water as well, I'm sure.

I pretty much can only think of every night, having to go cover up the food and water trays with some kind of heavy bucket/pail/diy container of some sort, but are there are ideas that I'm not quite thinking of that might be better?

What other ideas has anyone used for how to prevent rodents from getting free food and water and basically deciding that this area is a great area to live in and raise a big family?

Thanks!
I'm sorry about the rodents! But, don't leave food out overnight. Only feed your birds as much as they can eat in 15 minutes. If you leave it overnight, you're asking for a rodent problem. Also, never cover there water. They need it first thing in the morning, so if you forget, they will be thirsty. I hope this helps!

I'm pretty certain they'd figure out the nipple waterer, but most likely the rats are coming for the food, not the drinks. Where are they entering the coop? I think the best offense is a good defense in the sense that its better to keep them out entirely rather than manage their behavior when they come into the coop.

I don't leave food in the loft/coop either. I feed them in the morning as much as they'll eat in a short time with a little extra that gets picked off later in the day. By nightfall there's never feed left. If you switch to this strategy the rodents might not even bother coming in if there's no food.

I agree with qwerty. They need to be fed in portions and not have food available 24 hours a day. Are you aware of how they are entering the coop? Do you have a solid floor? You need to find out where they are gaining access and block off those pathways with screens or something. For the first time every, I have had problems with rats this year, but luckily they have no way to get into the loft. I have been "dealing" with them outside of the loft (baiting, trapping, and shooting). Make sure you take care of the problem because they can also spread disease to your birds... and rats can also attack and kill the birds.

Don't do nipple waterers. Pigeons may drink out of them, but its not good for them long term. They need deep water.

I would reccomend, OP, to simply limit feed so there is none at night, and kill any rats you see. They problem will naturally go away if you do that. :)

I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's what I do in my chicken run.

I have one of those tough rubber bowls from TSC sitting in a Rubbermaid container. The container is about 10x16x6, and the sides are a little taller than the bowl, so not too much dirt gets scratched into the food. I have a couple of fist-sized rocks next to the bowl so the chickens can't flip it over.

At night, I put the food bowl on the ground, and then put a glass (sturdy and heavy) pie plate upside down over the bowl. Then I put the Rubbermaid container upside down over that, and lastly put the rocks on top. No evidence of critters yet!

The bowl was $5-6, the glass pie plate was $2 from Goodwill, and I already had the Rubbermaid container. The rocks were free.

Thank you everyone. I had heard about the idea of not feeding the pigeons as much to keep them hungry so they would return to the coop but I had thought, my birds are not flying outside the coop that much, so providing ample food was OK.

However, it certainly makes sense to still only give enough food for during day time and not at night time when no bird should be eating it anyway.

I'll look into those kinds of feeders that open up and let the birds eat when they step on the platform.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom