Ideas for inexpensive roo housing?

kynewbchickie

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Estill County, KY
My Coop
My Coop
Starting out, we've now counted 6-7 combs in our flock. I'd ordered 3 Aussie roos, and they're very noticeable at approximately 4 weeks of age. I made the mistake of going into TSC and True Value here in town to get supplies and saw some pretty ghastly chicks with horrid poopie butt - so we had 10 more come home to a better chance (they were straight-run Ameraucanas and Buff Orps). Then, my oldest son came home with 6 black Jersey Giants that were straight-run. One died, leaving us with 30 birds total. I plan to keep one roo of each breed - the rest will more than likely become dinner this winter as I don't need/want that many roos.

Here's my problem.

I've got two pastures - one for the girls, one for the boys. The girls obviously outnumber the boys and they already have a rather nice barn coop (8' x 12') that we're in the process of getting everything finished - their pasture is 8' x 60'. I don't have housing for my boys yet, which I know I'm going to have to have. These roos have been brooded together but we're already seeing some displays of bullying from them - so separating them may have to happen. I don't want to be one of those people I see all over Kentucky with 5-gallon buckets as rooster houses, with the roos tethered to their buckets. I just don't want to treat my boys like that, with the 25' x 40' fenced pasture they'll be moved to in a few weeks - tops.

I'm in a pickle - if I separate them, I'll have to run quite a bit more fencing. If I leave them all together and build one smaller coop for them to share, how will that go over?

I'm trying to plan for the boys and every time I think they're all going to get along, we see bullying going on. Any ideas on a cheap fix for this problem? My hubby and I have headaches from trying to plan this out. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions!

Starting out, we've now counted 6-7 combs in our flock. I'd ordered 3 Aussie roos, and they're very noticeable at approximately 4 weeks of age. I made the mistake of going into TSC and True Value here in town to get supplies and saw some pretty ghastly chicks with horrid poopie butt - so we had 10 more come home to a better chance (they were straight-run Ameraucanas and Buff Orps). Then, my oldest son came home with 6 black Jersey Giants that were straight-run. One died, leaving us with 30 birds total. I plan to keep one roo of each breed - the rest will more than likely become dinner this winter as I don't need/want that many roos.

Here's my problem.

I've got two pastures - one for the girls, one for the boys. The girls obviously outnumber the boys and they already have a rather nice barn coop (8' x 12') that we're in the process of getting everything finished - their pasture is 8' x 60'. I don't have housing for my boys yet, which I know I'm going to have to have. These roos have been brooded together but we're already seeing some displays of bullying from them - so separating them may have to happen. I don't want to be one of those people I see all over Kentucky with 5-gallon buckets as rooster houses, with the roos tethered to their buckets. I just don't want to treat my boys like that, with the 25' x 40' fenced pasture they'll be moved to in a few weeks - tops.

I'm in a pickle - if I separate them, I'll have to run quite a bit more fencing. If I leave them all together and build one smaller coop for them to share, how will that go over?

I'm trying to plan for the boys and every time I think they're all going to get along, we see bullying going on. Any ideas on a cheap fix for this problem? My hubby and I have headaches from trying to plan this out. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions!

I don't see any reason to separate them. They do not need a lot of room to sleep. The coop and the run that you have is large enough. You are end up thin out some of the roosters anyway.

I don't see any reason to separate them. They do not need a lot of room to sleep. The coop and the run that you have is large enough. You are end up thin out some of the roosters anyway.

I'm separating the boys from the girls so we can control chicken math. We have a couple of local farm stores that are interested in locally-hatched babies of two of my breeds.

I'm keeping the boys in with the girls until they hit around 12-14 weeks old so we can be certain of gender before we move the boys, so that will give us adequate time to build the boys' coop. I wish I didn't have to thin out the boys, but four will be plenty enough around here...I'm certain my closest neighbors will agree. LOL

For my boys, I just built a lean-to with roosts. We raise and butcher about 100 "extra" boys in a 50x100 run with an 8x12 lean-to. They are in their area about 16-20 weeks then off to freezer camp. Haven't had any predator losses in two years.

For my boys, I just built a lean-to with roosts. We raise and butcher about 100 "extra" boys in a 50x100 run with an 8x12 lean-to. They are in their area about 16-20 weeks then off to freezer camp. Haven't had any predator losses in two years.

That's my husband's suggestion. I'm thinking an A-frame-type structure with roosts and a back wall will be inexpensive and easy enough to build, and they'll be enclosed. I guess if we get one or so that want to fight all the time, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Thank you both for your input! I greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom