Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I have a large coop & covered run plus a 8' x 5' x 3' cage I use for overflow, currently holding bachelors. I hatch at least once a year to refresh laying hens and to expand/refocus what breeds I have in the flock. My plan is keep cockerels for at least six months then process for eating.

I have a project underway to build a 14' by 16' pole shed to house cages for bachelors, breeding, brooding and isolation. I found and bought a "cageplex" (4 cages on two levels; each cage is 2' x 2' x 5') for $200, see below, I pickup this Saturday.

In the immediate term I will move 4 cockerels out of the coop, one each to a cage. Once i finish the pole shed I will move the cages without the roof along one wall and will build an 8' by 8' cage normally used for bachelors but that can be separated in two for use as breeding cages.

Front Face 1.jpg Front face 2.jpg Length Ruler.jpg Right End Ruler.jpg Right End.jpg

Last edited:
As of an hour ago I have 10 cockerels in cages outside the main coop/run. Two Chantecler males left, one very subservient; I may move the dominant one to join two others in the larger of the new cages...

I did not realize how many males I had but then they became teenaged; I previously moved 5 to a large single cage but that left 5 to eventually disrupt. I now have a few pullets with bare patches on back or neck plus some that are also withdrawing to hidey spots.

I am getting my head into processing excess males but first want to select a best few for breeding. I plan to hatch once each June so processing will be annual.

I have started to build a 14' by 16' pole shed. Once done I will build a 8' by 8' by 6'(H) secure cage; normally a large bachelor pad but able to be divided for breeding purposes each year. This cage, along with the new cageplex (above) and food storage bins will be the first populants of the pole shed. At that point I will use the new cageplex for brooding and isolation/recovery.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom