Ideas on Quail feeders please

Very simple and zero (and I mean zero) waste: Put the traditional chicken feeder into a dog bowl that fits around it. They have to bend their heads down to eat, it stays in the dish, seriously, zero waste. And zero poop in it, too.

One of these kind:

into this:

I'm having to buy a couple feeders/waterers in the next couple days to set up another cage. Thank you for posting this with pictures! This is what I'm going to get. (No construction is great for me!) Also, as WaterfowlWeirdo asked, would this work for the waterer, too?

I use a standard chicken waterer but I have it above the level of their butts! I put the waterer on two standard sized bricks placed side by side. Sometimes gets straw in it but never poop. Can post a photo later if you want

Last edited:
I didn't get to the feed store today to get a new feeder, but I did go to Ace and found this food dish. It's probably too small for fitting the feeder into and I didn't know what to put over it to temporarily make it a non-scratch-outable food dish, so this is my temporary answer. It is working beautifully, btw. Only a little bit of shavings has gotten kicked in, but otherwise, no poop. No scratching. But, I did see on quail try to hop on it and it did bounce off. Pretty amusing! (Otoh, I'm a bit worried about the rubberbands snapping and someone losing an eye, so I'm not leaving this here beyond tomorrow, when I will, hopefully, get to the feed store.)

Hahaha that sounds funny! Bouncing quail ! I never would have thought of that solution

Hahaha that sounds funny! Bouncing quail ! I never would have thought of that solution
I know it was mean, but it totally cracked me up. That bird was so offended!
big_smile.png

Here's my almost poop-free watering system. A chicken waterer on short bricks.

And here's a photo-bombing quail! Looks creepy!

"I am not the innocent quail you think I am! I will haunt you in your dreams!"
*sorry I had rough night last night -- I'm a night shift nurse-- and my little quail provide stress relief. ;-)

Last edited:
I know it was mean, but it totally cracked me up. That bird was so offended!
big_smile.png
It's not mean if no one gets hurt.
tongue.png
Quail are so relaxing for me most of the time. And they are not the smartest things, and that sometimes makes me laugh at them. Sometimes they all rush up the ramp in the coop when I am opening the door to collect eggs, and some fall off. Luckily they fall onto deep litter so no one gets hurt.

if you have a half gallon mill jug. cut the top and bottom off with some arches on the bottom for food to come out then set it in a boll or something. cheap temporary feeder. i got my younger ones using one right now until i put them with the others. works ok.

I will have to look into this and review your photos to see how to set this up.

The pipe in the picture is 3" ABS. I used pipe insulation tape but duct tape would work fine.

Edit: after you cut off the top of the plastic jar you need to make a slit in the side of it and sort of roll it conically until it fits the pipe nicely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom