Identify chick breeds

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
I just bought the chicks from Meyer. I ordered a Sage Gem, Steele Egger, and a Splash Ameraucana. They ran out of Steele Eggers, so they substituted it with another sage gem. I figured alright I will tell who is who because two will look similar and the third will look very different... well all three look different from each and I was not expecting any of them to be black at a day old, so I'm having a harder time then I thought telling who is who. Meyer also does not have a lot of day old pictures. Could anyone help me identify who is who from these pictures/video?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jiqkY7rr7JwUT3rs6

Splash is the lightest colored chick you have. So that would be your Splash Ameraucana.

That means the other two must be your Sage Gems, unless the hatchery made a mistake or substitution and sent something else instead.

The medium gray one is "blue" in color.
The darkest one might be black, or it might be a dark blue. (Some blues are much darker than others.)

Splash is the lightest colored chick you have. So that would be your Splash Ameraucana.

That means the other two must be your Sage Gems, unless the hatchery made a mistake or substitution and sent something else instead.

The medium gray one is "blue" in color.
The darkest one might be black, or it might be a dark blue. (Some blues are much darker than others.)
Thank you! I may reach out to Meyer and ask if a mistake was made, because the "blue" medium gray one looks a lot like what a day old steele egger would look like, I wonder if they were not actually out and the wires got crossed somewhere.

Thank you! I may reach out to Meyer and ask if a mistake was made, because the "blue" medium gray one looks a lot like what a day old steele egger would look like, I wonder if they were not actually out and the wires got crossed somewhere.
Yes, there could have been a mixup like that.

But apparently Sage Eggers can have a variety of colors, and also have a chance of having the various other traits that chick shows. So it could go either way.

Are they supposed to be standard sized or bantams or some of each?

Yes, there could have been a mixup like that.

But apparently Sage Eggers can have a variety of colors, and also have a chance of having the various other traits that chick shows. So it could go either way.

Are they supposed to be standard sized or bantams or some of each?
The sage and Steele are both bantams.

The sage and Steele are both bantams.
That rules out using their size to tell them apart!

The site sells Steele Eggers in both sizes, but only seems to have Sage Eggers in bantam, which is what made me start wondering if that could be another way to help figure out which ones you actually got--nope, not when you ordered bantams of both.

I just bought the chicks from Meyer. I ordered a Sage Gem, Steele Egger, and a Splash Ameraucana. They ran out of Steele Eggers, so they substituted it with another sage gem. I figured alright I will tell who is who because two will look similar and the third will look very different... well all three look different from each and I was not expecting any of them to be black at a day old, so I'm having a harder time then I thought telling who is who. Meyer also does not have a lot of day old pictures. Could anyone help me identify who is who from these pictures/video?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jiqkY7rr7JwUT3rs6
I ordered a batch of Sage Gem and Green Queen bantam chicks from Meyer Hatchery not quite 3 wks ago. They all seem to have black and horn colored beaks. I find the Sage Gems look like baby Baluga whales in the face.

Update for everyone! I reached out to Meyer, and they said that their sage gems can have pretty varied looks, but the two non-yellow chicks are consistent with common variations they can have.

Back
Top Bottom