If I put day old chicks in a coop would a hen mother them as her own?

kiyomi

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
I asked a question similar to this earlier. We don't have a rooster, so they can't hatch their eggs. Yet would they still be able to mother them? I want to bring new chicks into the flock without all of the hassle of having to try and slowly introduce them or having to worry about them attacking eachother, or catching diseases. If it is possible, how should I do it?

You have to have a broody hen, one that's in the mode to be a mama. They sit on their eggs almost non-stop for 3 weeks. Near the end of this period is when you may be able to introduce chicks. Look up threads on broodiness...
Good luck!

If a hen was broody, then yes, you may be able to slip chicks under her that she would raise. If you don't have a broody hen, then no, none of the hens will take care of the chicks.

Even if you have a broody hen, she may also reject the chicks and either not take care of them, or even kill them.

Your desire to have a hen brood chicks may not be practical in your situation, but there is another alternative, and you will be integrating the chicks into your flock from the first day you have them.

The way to do it is to brood in a protected enclosure in your coop or if you have a covered run, you can brood out there. I do this when I buy chicks. I set them up under a heating pad cave in a special pen in my covered run where they grow up under the watchful gazes of my entire flock.

When the chicks are two weeks old, I open chick-size portals into the rest of the run from their pen and they begin to go out and mingle with the flock.

They are completely safe since they run back inside their pen when they need to, and the big chickens can't access their refuge. Food and water are inside the pen for them to eat in peace until they're ten weeks old.

Another advantage is they are acquiring immunity to many pathogens by being exposed to them early. This would address your concern about worrying about diseases.

If this interests you, you can read more about it by clicking on my article on outdoor brooding below.

very pretty .
we have 10 pups now. going on 8 weeks old.
a few of them are sold. lots of inquiries .
they are not as well known as the GP.
I told my wife, "no more litters" .
too much work to sell them..

.......jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom