If she's not eggbound... then what?

Medical terminology, especially abbreviations can be confusing especially when you are already stressed out from dealing with a sick family member or pet. The commonly used ones are TID which is three times daily, QID which is four times a day and QD which is once every day although it was being abandoned in favor of Qday as too many med errors were possible mistaking QD for QID. QHS is at bedtime and QAM which is every morning. Usually a script is written or in the case of dosing animals, the directions appear on the labels of the meds and should tell you dosage, route, time and frequency. If you buy medicine for your birds, like most of us do at the local feed store or on line, you need to familiarize yourself with the terminology so you can treat your beloved birds safely. Once you do congratulations, you are a barnyard or backyard nurse.

For your reference:

http://www.medicinenet.com/list_of_common_medical_abbreviations_and_terminology/views.htm

I graduated from nurses training in 1975 at the advent of the technology boom that ushered in the new era of medicine. We were taught to use our education, our senses and common sense when practicing our art and you have to do the same when dealing with sick or injured animals. Like small children, they cannot tell you where it hurts or how they feel sick. It's a puzzle that you have to sort out and put together.

Frankly, y'all amaze me at what you will attempt in order to save one small feathered life with only the knowledge, experience and advice that you can glean off the Internet and forums like BYC, and I salute each and every one of you.

To the OP, I fear for your feathered friend and hope you can find out what is wrong with her and buy her some more time. There is a saying in medicine that when God puts his hand on a person's right shoulder you have no choice but to move yours from the left.

Thank you for those kind sentiments, Micro. I, too, am amazed by the knowledge of the members here. I don't post often and when I do, it's usually because one of my girls is in some sort of crisis. But these awesome folks ALWAYS come through. Sometimes, they give me advice that has saved my girls from injuries that I would never imagine could be survivable. Sometimes, it's just a comforting word of "I'm sorry."

And the Internet... Gosh I bet at least once a week I ask myself 'What did people DO before the Internet?' And I am certainly old enough that I remember a time before the Internet! Lol

Like I said, I've seen chickens recover from things that just seem impossible to survive, so I probably am a little more optimistic with some girls than I should be. I guess that probably causes the ones who do wind up dying a little more suffering than necessary but I will (and have) euthanized birds that were obviously too far gone. My line in making that call is probably just a little farther than most others.

It's still dark here, but l peeped in a few minutes ago and checked on her. She's still alive. Still sound asleep. I wound up going ahead with the expired Baytril last night, too - just in case.

It'll be daylight in a little bit and she'll get some scrambled eggs with yogurt, along with another speck of aspirin.

Will update after breakfast.

Thank you all so much for your wisdom! :)

Last edited:
No real improvement. In fact, she's technically a little worse considering that she won't eat as readily as she was yesterday. Still eating some food though.

She's sleeping a lot (head turned backward not just drooped forward) so if her body is going to recover, it's probably good that she rest now. She's isolated today, too.

It's not even been 12 hours yet since the full dose of Duramycin. I'd say it needs a while longer yet.

need help now my White Leghorn seems like she's egg bound and has been laying shelless eggs just with the insides of the eggs on the ground(clear &yellow) and she drops them anywhere. She's gone to lay but she hasn't made anything in the last few weeks except the one day she drop some liquid that would be the inside of the egg on the ground. She can still push out like clear fluid and yellow fluid of what would be inside the egg out of her vent but she's very full and on the side of lethargic.... She's really not moving around much. Please advise!

need help now my White Leghorn seems like she's egg bound and has been laying shelless eggs just with the insides of the eggs on the ground(clear &yellow) and she drops them anywhere. She's gone to lay but she hasn't made anything in the last few weeks except the one day she drop some liquid that would be the inside of the egg on the ground. She can still push out like clear fluid and yellow fluid of what would be inside the egg out of her vent but she's very full and on the side of lethargic.... She's really not moving around much. Please advise!
I treat my shell-less egg later by giving them fluids orally and/or under the skin. Once hydrated I give them calcium orally or under the skin. If I suspect an egg has broken inside them I give them Baytril. If they have a stuck egg, either hard or soft, I do the above and I place them a bathroom full of steam and leave them there for several hours.

-Kathy

No real improvement. In fact, she's technically a little worse considering that she won't eat as readily as she was yesterday. Still eating some food though.

She's sleeping a lot (head turned backward not just drooped forward) so if her body is going to recover, it's probably good that she rest now. She's isolated today, too.

It's not even been 12 hours yet since the full dose of Duramycin. I'd say it needs a while longer yet.
Not positive, but I think Duramycin is not very effective in treating E. coli, which is one of the common bacterial infections they get with EYP. How many hours has it been since you gave the Baytril and how much did you give?

Here is a chart I refer to when try to pick an antibiotic:

-Kathy

The following was written by Susan K. Mikota DVM and Donald C. Plumb, Pharm.D.
 Many or most strains of E. coli, Klebsiella, Bacteroides, Enterobacter, Proteus andPseudomonas aeruginosa are resistant to the tetracyclines.

The rest of the article is here:
http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/oxytetra.htm

Text in blue is specific to elephants, so ignore that.

-Kathy
my daughter on my last summer had been very sick and my daughter was diagnosed with campolbacter. She drank off my glass and I also got very sick with a low fever and abdominal cramps. She had been kissing the chickens and handling them without changing her clothes. Would it be similar to any of these things?

need help now my White Leghorn seems like she's egg bound and has been laying shelless eggs just with the insides of the eggs on the ground(clear

I treat my shell-less egg later by giving them fluids orally and/or under the skin. Once hydrated I give them calcium orally or under the skin. If I suspect an egg has broken inside them I give them Baytril. If they have a stuck egg, either hard or soft, I do the above and I place them a bathroom full of steam and leave them there for several hours.

-Kathy
what ingredient is Baytril, I don't have it in my house but I have things like naproxen ibuprofen excetra. I need the generic name so I can purchase it should it be necessary and the dose based on weight. Thanks in advance!

need help now my White Leghorn seems like she's egg bound and has been laying shelless eggs just with the insides of the eggs on the ground(clear

-Kathy
what ingredient is Baytril, I don't have it in my house but I have things like naproxen ibuprofen excetra. I need the generic name so I can purchase it should it be necessary and the dose based on weight. Thanks in advance!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

The doses I use are usually 10mg/kg twice a day, 15 mg/kg once a day or 20mg/kg once a day. Most usually I give for no more than five days, but there have been a couple of times when I gave it for ten days. Is that what you're looking for?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom