If she's not eggbound... then what?

need help now my White Leghorn seems like she's egg bound and has been laying shelless eggs just with the insides of the eggs on the ground(clear

I treat my shell-less egg later by giving them fluids orally and/or under the skin. Once hydrated I give them calcium orally or under the skin. If I suspect an egg has broken inside them I give them Baytril. If they have a stuck egg, either hard or soft, I do the above and I place them a bathroom full of steam and leave them there for several hours.

-Kathy
what ingredient is Baytril, I don't have it in my house but I have things like naproxen ibuprofen excetra. I need the generic name so I can purchase it should it be necessary and the dose based on weight. Thanks in advance!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

The doses I use are usually 10mg/kg twice a day, 15 mg/kg once a day or 20mg/kg once a day. Most usually I give for no more than five days, but there have been a couple of times when I gave it for ten days. Is that what you're looking for?

-Kathy
yes ma'am, that is what I was looking for it thank you for helping me to find it. With most things being closed I'm a look at some other naturopathic medicines that have anti-microbial qualities, such as oregano oil. Though I will have to talk to some friends of mine who are already doctors, which for me now is just but a dream. Thanks again Kathy!

Thanks for that info on bugs resistant to Duramycin. We won't re-dose with that again until Tuesday.

I've just given her a third dose of very old Baytril. It might not be doing anything at all, but it also might be working. At any rate, I'm out now, but I bet my vet will give me some tomorrow. And that won't be expired.

She still seems exhausted and sleeps a lot (head backward sleep still not slumping). But she did just eat about 1 cup or more of her layer pellets right before being put to bed, on her own, so that's an improvement.

Not much change otherwise. Still very swollen, still unsteady on her feet but still eating, drinking and eliminating.

Update:
She's still hanging in there. Not much change.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding some more Baytril. My vet says she can't medicate animals that she hasn't seen (and they don't see chickens) and another vet I've asked says I can't get it anywhere because Baytril isn't FDA approved for chickens.

I've called another vet - the one that I got the old bottle from years ago - and I'm hoping they'll sell me another one. You know... for my iguanas.

Thank you.
smile.png
I had already run across that thread.

If I don't hear back from the other vet today, I'll place an order. Might not help this girl, but I'll have it on hand for next time at least.

Oh and... no real change this morning either. She's still hanging in there. Still alert, still eating, still pooping. Still having trouble walking, but she can albeit it slowly and with a lot of effort.

Last edited:
Have you tried giving her calcium gluconate? I had a few chickens this year that started penguin walking and acting egg bound but while examining them I couldn't find any stuck eggs. I tried all the normal egg bound treatments (bath, steam, oil, etc) but none of them seemed to do much. I gave them calcium gluconate and that seemed to perk them up by the next day. I believe I ordered mine online from Jeffers (for cattle) but it should be available at Tractor Supply...

Have you tried giving her calcium gluconate?

I have not. I've given her a couple of TUMS over the last few days though and was under the impression that they could take the place of calcium gluconate. Is there a benefit of calcium gluconate over TUMS? Something other than the calcium?

The benefit, in my opinion, would be that you can ensure she gets the proper dose. When an animal is doing poorly, I prefer injectable medicines since you know they can't just be pooped out if the digestive system isn't doing so well...I haven't used TUMS so I don't know how effective they can be. I do know, all of my birds that started the penguin walk thing were on layer feed, which has calcium, but the injections still helped. The first one I didn't give an injection to for a couple days and she had an egg break inside her. She took the longest to recover but there was still a noticeable improvement after the injection. The others I treated as soon as they started acting funny and were fine by the next day. Worth a shot in my opinion...

I recently read a post by @JadeComputerGal (I think) that said Tums was not a good source of calcium. So being the type I am, I googled it and found several links that back that up. If she has an egg, which one would be able to feel by sticking their finger in the vent, I would give calcium gluconate at 50mg per pound orally or subcutaneously, but only once I knew they were properly hydrated.

-Kathy

Ah... I didn't realize the other was injectable. I'll look for some at TSC. If she's got eyp and not trying to pass an egg, should I still give her the injectable?

Success with the other vet. He'll have me some Baytril at the desk this afternoon. Hopefully the old stuff just hasn't been potent enough and I'll see some improvement with a fresh bottle.

Back
Top Bottom