If you could recommend one book....

Quote:
That is a good one. For a health-focused book I also like "Avoid the Vet". I don't have it in front of me right now but I think it's printed by Practical Poultry Magazine. I ordered mine from their website in Great Britain. I did see a copy in a TSC but didn't buy it then
sad.png
...since then I hadn't seen a copy at TSC so I ended up ordering it.

Ed

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for your time and answers...I went to get Storey's guide....but they were OUT! I guess it really is a great book if it can't stay on shelves! I did end up walking out with Storey's Guide to Country Living, which is another book I was looking for, a guide for self reliant living, so that's AWESOME!

I can't wait to have my chicks...can't WAIT!

Storeys guide to raising chickens, Hobby Farms: Chickens, The joy of Chickens, Living with chickens and the Chicken health handbook, also pocketfull of poultry if you want to learn about differant breeds:thumbsup

RAISING CHICKENS FOR DUMMIES !

Are you all who have the older books getting set in your ways? This book out last summer is the one we at the farm recommend to all chicken owners, new and old. It is clear, straightforward, easy to navigate in an emergency or hurry - and most important - it covers multiple pros and cons and points of view on all aspects of health care, nutrition, coop and run needs, breed selection. True, like all Dummies books it does not have glossy pictures. Those can be found online at feathersite and breeder and hatchery sites.

For information - this is the BEST!

... recently up to 500 chickens at our farm! More coming soon....

For a single piece of advice: find a mentor within easy driving distance and be mutually helpful any way you can. Another chicken owner can recommend a good vet, resources, and will be familiar with local predators and zoning laws.

Last edited:
The Chicken Health Handbook is great, and Storey's Guide by Gail Damerow are both great.
Best advice I can think of is to build your coops/runs bigger than you think you will need, and make them predator proof.

The one recommended to me was Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.... I read cover to cover. I would also add this site. The book is a great structure ... the site is like family, or neighbors talking over the fence... good PRACTICAL advice.

You can order books through McMurray or Meyer Hatchery's

I am fast becomming a chicken book junkie
yippiechickie.gif
I have 8 chicken books and it's very hard to decide which one is the best. If I had to keep just one it would most likely be Raising Chickens for Dummies. The most enjoyably one, so far, has been Chickens, Tending a Small-Scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit by Sue Weaver. When the next two arrive, I may change my mind.
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom