illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

Western Springs allows 2 hens. They can't be too close to the main house or a neighbors house. Lot lines are not the issue. Unincorporated Winfield Township apparently allows 1 hen. That seem sort of lonely, so I felt obligated to sneak in some friends for her. :)
Wow 1-2 hens just seems cruel! In Westmont, it's 6 hens & in Downer's Grove it's 4 hens. Even that seems small since our family eats about 2 doz eggs per week. There is of course a loophole if you're in 4H.

Just found out this morning that Milton Twnshp does allow byc but Glen Ellyn does not...bumbed! Is there any way around this sillyness?

Just found out this morning that Milton Twnshp does allow byc but Glen Ellyn does not...bumbed! Is there any way around this sillyness?
If you have a kid in 4H (must be actively enrolled in a poultry project) & have an acre, then yes. You may keep chickens, rooster, rabbits, & even goats.

For most other people, you need to have understanding neighbors & keep them hidden in your garage.
hide.gif
Many suburban towns that allow backyard chickens only permit 3-4 hens per house. The city of Chicago has no such limits. I visited a house there with 15 hens, 2 roos, 4 dogs, a mini orchard, & greenhouse - all on a tiny 1/4 acre plot.

wee.gif
Chicken owner Maria McLean won " ......On Thursday (2-18-2016), the Will county board eliminated the need for that permit for chickens, but restricted them to one chicken per 12,500 square feet, and only on lots that are at least 12,500 square feet.. The chickens have to be fenced in, and no roosters are allowed, according to the amended ordinance. Chicken coops also must be at least 50 feet away from adjacent homes...."
whole article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...proves-chickens-st-0219-2-20160219-story.html

Does anyone know anything about unincorporated Winfield, IL?

There's a 4H loop-hole in DuPage.
If you're in unincorporated DuPage, have an acre or more of land, & a child in 4H, you can own poultry & rabbits (maybe even goats). Child must be enrolled in that project - even if they decide not to show their animals. If it's less than an acre, I do not know.

In many places the neighbor's approval means more than legality. If it's legal but your neighbor disapproves = police called. If it's against an ordinance but your neighbor enjoys receiving a few eggs, you'll have the perfect chicken sitter & find extra treats the yard. LOL It's always best to throw the idea out there before you invest time & money building a coop.

After reading the thread, I saw that the last mention of Wauconda, IL was back in 2012 or 2013 and it had no definitive Yes or No about having birds in city limits.

I moved up here in 2014 into a condo and sold my previous flock, and now after a few years of saving my husband and I are looking at moving into a house and would like to stay near my job in downtown Wauconda. It would be a big plus to be able to start a new flock again.

Bartonville, Illinois does not allow chickens or fowl of any kind. I'm searching for others who wish to have chickens in their yards so that I can ask for an amendment.

Back
Top Bottom