Allow location

Lulie

Hatching
Oct 27, 2023
Albertson village in Albion near boardline Parma but in Jackson county I need to know if this area would allow 4 chicken. I don’t want rooster. Just small. I have big backyard. Pls let me know thanks

Last edited:
I did a search online and from what you listed I'm assuming you're in Wisconsin? and couldn't find much in the way of town ordinances, the county has some but I couldn't find anything specifically mentioning chickens and it seemed geared more towards larger farms for cows, pigs, goats and the like. The only mention was for under 500 animals facility must be 100 feet from property line and for over 500 200 feet. If Albertson Village has a HOA or something you'd have to contact them too but I think you're best bet is to call the town offices of Albion and ask to be sure. https://townofalbionjacksoncounty.com/

This not right place where I live. Albion is in Michigan and my house is on Parma in Jackson county.

Albertson village in Albion near boardline Parma but in Jackson county I need to know if this area would allow 4 chicken. I don’t want rooster. Just small. I have big backyard. Pls let me know thanks
found this:
What this meaning? is allow have chicken at my backyard? I dont understand. I copy and paste on this. Can you explain to me. Thank you...

§ 130.01 DEFINITIONS.

For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.

ANIMALS. Unless otherwise stated, shall include birds, fish, mammals and reptiles.

LIVESTOCK. Horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats and fur-bearing animals, of either gender, being raised in captivity.

OWNER and PERSONS OWNING PREMISES. The OWNER of title of record and those occupying or in possession of any property or premises. The term OWNER when applied to the proprietorship of any animal, means every person having a right of property in the animal, an authorized agent of the animal, and every person who keeps or harbors the animal or has it in his or her care, custody or control, and every person who permits the animal to remain on or about the premises occupied by himself or herself.

PEACE OFFICER. Any person employed or elected by the people of the township or by the state or the county, whose duty it is to preserve the peace or to make an arrest.

PERSON. Includes state and local officers and employees, individuals, corporations, co-partnerships and associations.

POULTRY. All domestic fowl, ornamental birds and game birds possessed or being reared under the authority of a breeder’s license pursuant to Public Act 339 of 1919, being M.C.L.A. § 287.261.

PUBLIC PLACE. Any street, alley, sidewalk, park, public building, any place of business open to or frequented by the public and any other place which is visible or accessible to the public.

TOWNSHIP. Parma Township.

(Ord. 173, passed 7-8-2002)

This is copied from the link I posted above. This applies to the city of Albion, Michigan..

Code of Ordinances

1. Albion, Michigan - Code of Ordinances
  2. Chapter 14 - ANIMALS

Sec. 10-97. - Hours of operation.Chapter 18 - BUILDINGS AND BUILDING REGULATIONS
  • Chapter 14 - ANIMALS[1]

Footnotes:
    --- (1) ---
    Editor's note— Ord. No. 2000-19, § 2, adopted June 19, 2000, repealed former ch. 14, §§ 14-1—14-110, and enacted a new ch. 14, §§ 14-1—14-111, as set out herein. Former ch. 14 pertained to similar subject matter and derived from: an ordinance of 3-30-81; the Code of 1984, §§ 4-2—4-8, 4-21—4-24, and 4-36—4-39; and Ord. 1990-5, § 2, 9-17-90.
    Cross reference— Administration, ch. 2; businesses, ch. 22; offenses and miscellaneous provisions, ch. 58.
    State Law reference— Authority to adopt animal control ordinances, MCL 287.290; crimes relating to animals and fowl, MCL 750.49 et seq.; dog law of 1919, MCL 287.261 et seq.
  • ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL

• Sec. 14-1. - Location restrictions.

(a)
    Keeping of animals. No livestock, animals or fowl, other than customary household pets, may be housed in any residential district within 100 feet of any residential property except as provided in section 14-1(a)(1)—(4).
    (b)
    Keeping of female chickens.
    (1)
    Any person who keeps female chickens in the City of Albion shall obtain a permit from the city prior to acquiring the female chickens. Application must be made by the property owner and shall be made to the city clerk and the fee from the permit shall be as determined by council resolution.
    Permits expire and become invalid two years after the date of issuance. Person who wishes to continue keeping female chickens shall have obtained a new permit on or before the expiration date of the previous permit. Application for a new permit shall be pursuant to the procedures and requirements that are applicable at the time the person applies for a new permit.
    (2)
    Notwithstanding the issuance of a permit by the city, private restrictions on the use of property shall remain enforceable and take precedence over a permit. Private restrictions include, but are not limited to, deed restriction, condominium master deed restrictions, neighborhood association by-laws and covenant deeds. A permit issued to a person whose property is subject to interpretation and enforcement of the private restriction is the sole responsibility of the private parties involved.
    (3)
    A person who keeps or houses female chickens on his or her property shall comply with all the following requirements:
    a.
    Have been issued the permit required under subsection (1) of this section.
    b.
    If the lot is less than one acre, keep no more than five female chickens. If the lot is larger than one acre, keep no more than seven female chickens.
    c.
    The principal use of the person's property is for a single-family dwelling or two-family dwelling.
    d.
    No person shall keep any rooster.
    e.
    No person shall slaughter any female chickens.
    f.
    The female chickens shall be provided with a covered enclosure and must be kept in the covered enclosure or a fenced enclosure at all times. The fenced enclosure shall be no larger than 11 square feet per female chicken in area. The coop and enclosure shall be constructed in such a manner as to prevent access by dogs, cats and wildlife. Fenced enclosures are subject to all provisions of article VII, sections 18-296, et seq., of the Albion Code of Ordinances.
    g.
    A person shall not keep female chickens in any location of the property other than in the backyard. For purposes of this section, "backyard" means that portion of a lot enclosed by the property's rear lot line and the side lot lines to the points where the side lot lines intersect with an imaginary line established by the rear of the single-family or two-family structure and extending to the side lot lines.
    h.
    No covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall be located closer than ten feet to any property line of an adjacent property.
    i.
    All enclosures for the keeping of female chickens shall be so constructed or repaired as to prevent rats, mice, or other rodents from being harbored underneath, within, or within the walls of the enclosure. A covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall not be located closer than 20 feet to any residential structure on an adjacent property provided, however, this requirement can be waived as follows:
    If the principal use of applicant's property is for a single-family dwelling, to obtain such a waiver the applicant shall present at the time of applying for a permit the written statements of all adjacent landowners that there is no objection to the issuance of the permit.
    j.
    All feed and other items associated with the keeping of female chickens that are likely to attract or to become infested shall be protected so as to prevent rats, mice, or other rodents from gaining access to or coming into contact with them.
    k.
    If the above requirements are not complied with, the city may revoke any permit granted under this section and/or initiate prosecution for a civil infraction violation.
    l.
    Female chickens shall be kept humanely.
    m.
    Female chickens waste shall be removed in an environmentally responsible manner. Waste can be composted or bagged and removed. Dead female chickens shall be immediately removed and disposed of properly. Piling waste on the property is not allowed.
    (4)
    A person who has been issued a permit shall submit it for examination upon demand by any public safety officer or code enforcement officer.

Basically it states you can have a maximum of 5 Hens, no Rooster.
If your on less than 1 acre of land, AND... You must have a permit.
See the above post for all the set backs away from buildings.

Did typing autocorrect? There is an Amberton Village in Parma township, with Albion addresses but not Albion zoning. That Parma Township website says Amberton Village is the only subdivision in the township or maybe the only subdivision with city water. The zoning map shows two subdivisions, though, I couldn't tell the name of the other one.

If this is the correct place then this is the ordinance.

It says residential district allows accessory buildings - that is what a chicken coop would be if chickens are allowed.

The section for residential says, "This district is composed of those areas of the Township whose principal use is and ought to be single family dwellings on moderately small-sized lots. The regulations of this district are designed to create a predominantly suburban character in those areas which are served by central sewer and water supply systems or areas where these facilities can reasonably be expected in the future..."

I could find nothing else that was helpful.

Some suburban areas allow chickens but I kinda doubt they are really part of "suburban character" but it isn't what I think about it - it is what the people enforcing the zoning think. So, I don't know if they are allowed there or not.

And it might not be the right place... the definitions don't match what Lulie put.

Back
Top Bottom