Illinois...

So far this is not the birthday I planned!

DH is not feeling well.(cold/allergy symptoms). Nothing too serious. His sister called at noon with bad news. His dad was found confused and wandering around the lobby. His mom (who has Alzheimer's) was also wandering around. The administrator helped make arrangements for them to go to urgent care. DH's dad is now unresponsive and transported to ER. Looks like DH will have to take the car for the 2 hour trip to WI to care for his mom. Meanwhile, he's feeling sick, so wants to get a Covid test just to be sure. He had trouble finding somewhere to get tested. Perhaps most testing sites have shut down. He tried a drug store but they require appointments - which of course are all taken today. Closest place to get a test done today is Warrenville, so he's headed there now. Won't know results until tomorrow. What happened to those rapid tests?
Hope everything turns out alright.

The rapid tests are still available but by appointment. They shut down most mass testing sites. Worst case, call the doc and they should be able to get you into a hospital lab. You'll pay the dog possibly with your copay for a virtual visit but the lab Covid test is more accurate and still free.

Not pushing vaccination, but if he is considering a vaccine there are walk-in vaccine centers. Sam's Club and CVS were doing walk-in vaccines last time I was in each of them.

Hope everything turns out alright.

The rapid tests are still available but by appointment. They shut down most mass testing sites. Worst case, call the doc and they should be able to get you into a hospital lab. You'll pay the dog possibly with your copay for a virtual visit but the lab Covid test is more accurate and still free.

Not pushing vaccination, but if he is considering a vaccine there are walk-in vaccine centers. Sam's Club and CVS were doing walk-in vaccines last time I was in each of them.
Costco has been doing walk in as well.

I highly doubt DH has Covid. No one asked him to be tested but we feel it’s irresponsible to walk into an assisted living facility unless you’re sure. Too many people with weakened immune systems.
Thank you for considering the well-being of those in assisted living. Our son lives in a community living house and a staff member brought COVID into their home at the end of March. Staff was eligible for vaccination but about half refused them and the agency did not require them. Some but not all residents had a single shot. Our son’s best friend, 64, died. They are at the mercy of others. Thank you for caring.

We got the Covid vaccine, but so did my niece, who's a nurse. My niece has Covid now. It's not bad, she has few symptoms..... but she can spread it.

Likewise, my brother's family (wife, all 3 of their kids, 2 kids' spouses, and 8 of the the grandkids) contracted Covid Oct 2020 and recovered. Fast forward to Aug 2021: His grandkids went back to school and the schools shut down after only 2.5 weeks. Two of those grandkids are very sick and just tested positive for Covid - AGAIN. Now we're waiting to see if the rest are positive. They live in Indiana.

My in-laws live in WI. FIL had to be transferred and admitted to a hospital 90 min away because of lack of beds. (Covid is overwhelming the hospitals up there, but people are still getting sick and injured. It's just bad.)

So far this is not the birthday I planned!

DH is not feeling well.(cold/allergy symptoms). Nothing too serious. His sister called at noon with bad news. His dad was found confused and wandering around the lobby. His mom (who has Alzheimer's) was also wandering around. The administrator helped make arrangements for them to go to urgent care. DH's dad is now unresponsive and transported to ER. Looks like DH will have to take the car for the 2 hour trip to WI to care for his mom. Meanwhile, he's feeling sick, so wants to get a Covid test just to be sure. He had trouble finding somewhere to get tested. Perhaps most testing sites have shut down. He tried a drug store but they require appointments - which of course are all taken today. Closest place to get a test done today is Warrenville, so he's headed there now. Won't know results until tomorrow. What happened to those rapid tests?

It feels a little hollow after all this, but happy birthday!

I hope the rest comes around. Aging parents are sometimes harder to manage than kids. And hospitals and assisted living are made much more complicated with covid. I don't envy your husband this trip. I hope some birthday magic pulls through and things get better!

DH’s Covid test = negative He went to WI to stay with his mom.

His dad was admitted to hospital and still getting tests. Theory is stroke and aphasia. He seems to understand and can answer basic yes/ no ?s. Not himself but can respond. Still need to rule out tumor (He has lymphoma and it’s been slow growing over the years). Thankfully FIL seems slightly better today than last night. Not sure what comes next. DH will stay until Sunday.

DH’s Covid test = negative He went to WI to stay with his mom.

His dad was admitted to hospital and still getting tests. Theory is stroke and aphasia. He seems to understand and can answer basic yes/ no ?s. Not himself but can respond. Still need to rule out tumor (He has lymphoma and it’s been slow growing over the years). Thankfully FIL seems slightly better today than last night. Not sure what comes next. DH will stay until Sunday.
Keeping you in my prayers

Keeping you in my prayers
Finally some possible good news about FIL. No sign of a tumor and not likely a stoke!

It turns out there's some type of blood restriction to the part of brain that is responsible for expressing language. He can understand but not fully communicate. The Major blood vessels are all OK, so it's likely some place it branches off. The docs are giving some medication (statin and a blood thinner) to see if it helps. It may also resolve on it's own. These things are tricky. It could clear up tomorrow or take weeks/months. We're praying the obstruction resolves itself, but if that doesn't happen, he can receive speech therapy. He's not capable of caring for himself or his wife in his current state, so we're looking for options. Perhaps they can temporarily move to a room in the nursing home side of the assisted living facility. That way they can stay together in a place they both know. Better than hospital. For now, it must be a hospital until things play out further.

Back
Top Bottom