Illinois...

Try a dog proof coon trap . Farm stores should have them . You would have dispatch the coon .

I forgot about these. Should work. I am in town but no problem dispatching. Neighbors are used to it. 4 skunks this year.
I am betting g it's a raccoon. It tore some siding from my run (or just a weak point I missed) and ate one of my chicks. Crotch and head was gone.

I sold some serama pullets this past week. It's hard saying "Good Bye" after raising them for months, but often I find that they go to outstanding homes. My spoiled little silkied serama pullets lived as "house chickens" in DD's bedroom. (Not enough room in our coop to keep them, so we knew there was no point integrating them into our bantam flock.) Because they were inside, they got loving every night, enjoyed watching TV, & insisted anyone passing by must stop to pet them. I admit I do miss their adorable noises whenever I walk by the doorway. We called them our "Princess Pullets" because they had us as their servants.

I received some photos yesterday from their new family that made my heart melt. Their girls were in PJs cuddling the sleeping seramas during movie night. Of course even better was the pic of the seramas wrapped up in a baby blanket inside an old baby carriage. Precious! I'm glad they are so loved.

IMG_8725.JPG

Here's Chaos (black) with her adopted EE chicks. Her "sister" Calamity (lav) decided she also wanted chicks...... but waited until the chicks were 6 weeks old before playing mommy. I never had a hen spontaneously go broody and adopt such old chicks. Yet, here she is calling, tid-bitting, protecting, and sleeping with these chicks. Chaos doesn't seem to mind sharing, so they sleep in one big broody pile at night.
IMG_8707 (2).JPG
IMG_8710 (2).JPG

IMG_8689.jpg

Back
Top Bottom