Illinois...

I every one long time no talk!
I'm involved in imports and have so much screen time lately my eyes have been spinning. Had to take a break from looking at the phone :eek:
I hope everyone's doing well, I'm going to start back up here and catch up with news of the area.

Glad to hear from you ❤️
Annie is doing good. I have her off lead. She still doesn't play. Not interested in running around. Trots back to the house. She's good with sit and heel, but not come unless I have a treat. Sometimes she wants out and turns around and wants in.... she gets a treat when she comes in.... so I think she's just playing me for a treat lol

I may need to throw out nearly 75-100lbs of duck feed. I use meat bird feed, which F&F now only carries as granules and not pellets (and they raised there peice on it to $16 or $18 when it used to be $14). The granules compact easier. While I was out of town my sister fed the birds. She didn't fully seal the lids on the cans I store the feed in and moist air got in and condensed into water, making an ideal environment for mold. :( I pulled out clumps of feed that were compacted and molded. I may need to stay going to the other feed store again. What's the name of the family operated feed store further East again? I haven't been in about a year... @Molpet we met up there before. I could try Tri-County Stockdale again too. I need high protein feed that's pelleted and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.
I have never seen a chicken foraging look at something moldy and say "ewww". I say if nothing else scrape the mold off and if it's too compact then add more water and use it as wet/fermented one bucket at a time

I have never seen a chicken foraging look at something moldy and say "ewww". I say if nothing else scrape the mold off and if it's too compact then add more water and use it as wet/fermented one bucket at a time
I hear you. Some molds are toxic though.
Also, this is the ducks' feed. I intend to eat the 4 extra drakes. I don't fancy the idea of eating meat that was raised with moldy food.
That said, I did remove as much of the compacted moldy clumps as I can and most of the feed seems fine. I just will keep a vigilant eye on it for now and make sure any nasty bits are removed. I think we'll be able to get through this batch of feed and then switch to back to pellets. I an going to check with Ludwigs. I recall they used to carry a Prince feed that was 30% protein, but cannot ferment if it's pellets. If it it's though, I could mix it with layer feed to achieve 18-20% protein, which is what the ducks seem to do well with. I checked with a feed store in Channahon and found they have a 20% protein pellet feed for $18 for 50lb. It's the same price, but higher protein and pelleted. I also checked with Tri-County, but they were more expensive.

Also, this is the ducks' feed. I intend to eat the 4 extra drakes. I don't fancy the idea of eating meat that was raised with moldy food.
That said, I did remove as much of the compacted moldy clumps as I can and most of the feed seems fine. I just will keep a vigilant eye on it for now and make sure any nasty bits are removed. I think we'll be able to get through this batch of feed and then switch to back to pellets. I an going to check with Ludwigs. I recall they used to carry a Prince feed that was 30% protein, but cannot ferment if it's pellets. If it it's though, I could mix it with layer feed to achieve 18-20% protein, which is what the ducks seem to do well with. I checked with a feed store in Channahon and found they have a 20% protein pellet feed for $18 for 50lb. It's the same price, but higher protein and pelleted. I also checked with Tri-County, but they were more expensive.
I ferment pellets. ... or crumbles or mash

Glad to hear from you ❤️
Annie is doing good. I have her off lead. She still doesn't play. Not interested in running around. Trots back to the house. She's good with sit and heel, but not come unless I have a treat. Sometimes she wants out and turns around and wants in.... she gets a treat when she comes in.... so I think she's just playing me for a treat lol
Lol I always knew she was a smart cookie!

If you don't mind the drive, I go to Country Brithers in Morris. Big R , aka stock and field, aka R.P. home and harvest stores, is across the street.

BReeder!

If I had your issue with moist feed,,,, This is what I would do.
In my garage floor,, I would spread out a tarp. (the cheap blue ones that I have a few of) I would spill out the feed, and rake it to a thin layer. I would place a fan at one end, and have airflow going over contents. In short time, the pellets would dry to point of no mold developing danger. I would rake the layer a few times to make sure it is dry through.
Hate to see you loose a bunch of feed. :old :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom