I'm a chick mamma newbie - 3 week old chicks in coop question PLEASE HELP!

Dgrundy14

Chirping
May 28, 2016
Leeds, Alabama
I have 4 chicks that are around 3 weeks old. They are in the upper coop but I was wondering how soon they can handle a ramp. I want to let them go down to the grass but I'm worried I won't be able to get them back in the coop at night. I just want to make sure they go up at night.
Second thing, does it matter if it rains and they are down below the coop?

Thanks so much for anyone who can help! here is a photo of my chicks as of yesterday and my coop.

big_smile.png
My chicks were out on grass and scaling the ribbed ramp at that age.
Let them try it. They will love that grass and catching little buggies to eat!
Just supervise them, you will be surprised at their agility.
If it rains, go out and see if they go back into the coop.
If they do, that's great. If they don't, that's ok too. They have protection due to your coop/run style.

Your chicks are adorable and you have a nice home for them.
I would kindly suggest that you bring their food and water to the run while they are out.
I wish you the best!

Last edited:
I agree, let them out.

You may need to help them get back in a couple of times, but they will probably figure it out on their own. If you are feeding crumbles or pellets, you don't need grit but if you are letting them eat grass (which is great, good for them) give them some grit. That can be purchased, or just some clean sand or dirt - they will need it to handle the grass or other greens.

Enjoy them, you won't believe how entertained you can be watching them.

Great minds think alike! I got a video and here is a picture. They are having a blast I just hope it's not raining when I have to put them to bed!

I've had them for almost 3 weeks and I'm in love already. Wish I had done this a LONG time ago. They love spinach and will eat it right out of my hand. I'm hoping I can offer that to them this evening and they will come back in the coop for it. Wish me luck!
1f64f.png

Well, it wasn't pretty. Had to put each one up I t the coop but maybe it was because of the bad weather in the area. Hopefully tomorrow will be different.

Well, it wasn't pretty. Had to put each one up I t the coop but maybe it was because of the bad weather in the area. Hopefully tomorrow will be different.
I've never put chicks out quite this young because I always start in early April and it is way to cold here so they live in brooders in my garage for the first four or even five weeks. However, once out in the coop, after a day or two I let them out into the run. Each night it gets easier to get them back inside until they just put themselves to bed without any help from me. I've been known to take away their food during the early afternoon and then putting it inside the coop just before dusk to encourage them to move inside. That might help speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom