I'm a newbie, please help!

SoCal-chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
San Diego
We were just given 9 Rhode Island Reds. They are 8 weeks old so we don't know their sexes. We need advice on feeding and coup design. We live in San Diego CA. Warm summers, mild winters, with some frosty nights. As far as coup designs, we're thinking of a raised floor (3 ft.) with wire mesh versus wood. Your thoughts would be welcome, thanks.

Hello I am new to raising chickens. I live in Jacksonville, FL and I have 4 Rhode Island Reds and built a 4' x 8' pen with a coop that is about 2 feet off the ground. The back of the coop opens so I can get eggs and clean it out. I think our climate here is similar to yours in San Diego. I tried to put pictures on the post but was not able to figure out how to do it. I would be glad to email you some pictures if you would like.
Good luck!!

Hi so-cal, There are so many different types of coops it could make your head spin. We've had chikens for just a short time but have already gone from one small pen to a large 10x20 pen with runs on each end.
If I could do it all again I would have started with the larger one. Do it right the first time.
But that's just me.

There is a section on this forum called coop design. Plenty of good choices....

Good Luck............

I would keep with the wood floor, instead of wire. Depending upon the size of the wire spacing, your birds can catch toes and legs in them. They can also be drafty.

Quote:
I agree.

Raised wire seems like a good idea but if the mesh is small enough for them to walk on, it's actually pretty messy. Wood flooring is easier on the birds and easier to clean too.

I use dirt floors and put a piece of old plywood under the roost area so I can scoop the manure up with a flat bottom shovel about every six months.

smile.png

My hubby converted a shed for me and we used plexiglass. I keep a large layer of chopped straw and wood chips down, but for cleaning it's awesome. I have Insulation around the whole thing(we live in Canada, Brrrrrr.) but don't let your chickens around styrofoam. They eat it like it's the best thing ever!!!

Okay, You've convinced us. The plan now calls for raising the floor only 2 ft., still making a wire with wood frame floor, but then covering it with a tough linoleum like material. We haven't figured out the final dimensions, we'll make it as big as possible given the area we have to work with. Thanks for the help! Please tell us what is the best feature you included in your coup plans.

The height that it is really doesn't matter - mine is about 2.5' off the ground and with a wood floor, but make sure that you give them a ramp up
wink.png

Don't glue the lino in - it would provide an excellent hiding place for red mite and you really don't want that to happen.

Red mite is a nasty little blood sucking parasite that comes out in the night (I'm making it sound like something out of a horror movie here lol). They are very small, and live in the cracks and crevices of a coop. Often the first sign that they are around is when they refuse to sleep inside the coop. If the mites are not got rid of then they will eventually make the birds anaemic and kill them.

Back
Top Bottom