Building New Coop - Ventilation Check

Do you think 1/2” plywood is sufficient for the walls? Painted or stained exterior for finish. Or does it need to be 3/4”?

Our most traditional, walled coop has T1-11 with barn paint.

Hardie-board is pricey, but exceedingly durable.

Best consult shed-builders in your local area to see what you've got to contend with -- wood doesn't survive well here in the Steamy Southeast between the carpenter ants, the termites, and the wood-destroying fungi, etc.

Our most traditional, walled coop has T1-11 with barn paint.

Hardie-board is pricey, but exceedingly durable.

Best consult shed-builders in your local area to see what you've got to contend with -- wood doesn't survive well here in the Steamy Southeast between the carpenter ants, the termites, and the wood-destroying fungi, etc.
Thank you. We have t1-11 here too I believe. Will check out options local.

We have not started the build yet, and was going to start designing the interior. Anything that needs to be considered for the interior when building the frame? Any favorite threads for interior design?

Hi everyone! Starting to draw out the design for our new coop. Very rough sketch, but I would like to ensure the right amount of ventilation, and welcome any other suggestions! 😊
View attachment 3398364
Details - the yellow highlighted portions in photos are where I think the ventilation would be. The eaves will be open with hardware cloth.
- Asphalt shingle roof over plywood. Was thinking I might need a ridge vent also?
- Two windows in front and one in back that will be covered in wire mesh… but can be covered in winter.
- We live in upstate NY. We have average summers in the 70/80’s and can get humid. Winters are up and down but can get very cold, lots of snow and very windy.
- Will be getting more chicks soon for a total of 9-10 hens.
- coop will be attached at the back to the already built run. Fully enclosed with 1/2” hard wire mesh and clear roofing panels. ( I think it’s 7’ x 16’ ) . they also have a large free range area that they are in most of the year when trees are full.
- foxes and hawks are our main predators and have taken our poor girls in past when full free range.
- raised off ground with cloth and solid floor.
- 4 nesting boxes
- 6 foot privacy fence next to the side of coop opposite of nesting boxes. So there is some extra protection from winds.

Still have to design inside and rest of details, but wanted to make sure I’m on the right path.

@3KillerBs - I hope I did ok 🙈 I have reviewed your wonderful ventilation post with cute illustrations !
I’m also in planning stage with a similar design. Hudson Valley NY. I see you’re adding the triangular gable vent and ridge vent which I would have recommended also. I also have a narrow rectangular drop door to a vent window on what would be your solid side, and two small windows above nesting boxes. In summer I figure I’m going to keep it fairly open air.
Post pics of your build. I’d like to see the progress and end result! Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m also in planning stage with a similar design. Hudson Valley NY. I see you’re adding the triangular gable vent and ridge vent which I would have recommended also. I also have a narrow rectangular drop door to a vent window on what would be your solid side, and two small windows above nesting boxes. In summer I figure I’m going to keep it fairly open air.
Post pics of your build. I’d like to see the progress and end result! Good luck.
Hey! Awesome to hear you’re building a new one too! Yes, I had made some adjustments to vents and will play with window/ vent sizes once we actually building. Still haven’t started as we are finishing our own renovations on house first. I am still messing around with the interior design too so I can plan for anything as we build.
Will update for sure. Keep me posted on yours also! Would love to see.

We have not started the build yet, and was going to start designing the interior. Anything that needs to be considered for the interior when building the frame? Any favorite threads for interior design?
Well its much easier to frame your openings on the ground, so get that sorted before you build. Also, if you don't want to square and cut to length a bunch of 2x4s, you can buy 93inch stud boards that are more expensive than 96s, but they can be used as studs in a wall without trimming/square cutting. It saves time. Personally I’m making the cuts because it have a miter saw that does a great job.

Unless you want windows for light, you could consider just opening up the gable ends near the top (and further as needed) in lieu of the circle and windows.

I’m using OSB for sheathing, tyvek wrap, and putting up vinyl siding on my coop since i have the vinyl and it matches the house.

Well its much easier to frame your openings on the ground, so get that sorted before you build. Also, if you don't want to square and cut to length a bunch of 2x4s, you can buy 93inch stud boards that are more expensive than 96s, but they can be used as studs in a wall without trimming/square cutting. It saves time. Personally I’m making the cuts because it have a miter saw that does a great job.

Unless you want windows for light, you could consider just opening up the gable ends near the top (and further as needed) in lieu of the circle and windows.

I’m using OSB for sheathing, tyvek wrap, and putting up vinyl siding on my coop since i have the vinyl and it matches the house.
Thank you! Yes, we did switch to gable vent instead of circle ones. Sounds like you have a great build also starting! We are painting the OSB and using some trim.

Thank you! Yes, we did switch to gable vent instead of circle ones. Sounds like you have a great build also starting! We are painting the OSB and using some trim.

OSB is stronger than plywood as long as it remains dry, the last part being key. I would just say make sure you seal it, not just paint it if you are going to have it exposed to the elements.

Back
Top Bottom