Im back! But with waterfowl this time and i have a question...

missnu01

Songster
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
So I am totally new to geese, but not new to poultry... have had ducks, chickens, and turkeys in the past. Came back in strong with 24 ducks, 6 bantam chickens, and 10 Embden x Toulouse goslings... now these 10 goslings are mixed and I have no idea what they might turn into , and I was hoping that someone with some of these crosses might post some pics for me. I was also wondering if this mix is able to be sexed at hatch? Because we have some that are very light and a few that are very dark, and one that is just about all gray... so are the males our lighter birds or does the cross render that untrue?

Attachments

• 20200403_150938.jpg
    20200403_150938.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 11
Embden gander over Toulouse goose? If yes the answer is, sort of? White in geese is a combo of Spotted and the sex-linked dilute gene.

So anyway, females would be dimorphic, gray, and males would be dilute, but only one copy, so they might be lighter than females? No clue how this would look as down, or even feathered out.

So your darker ones may be females and the lighter may be males. I can't say for sure, but from the genetics it seems possible.

If it was a Toulouse gander over an Embden goose, kind of the same thing, only the females would be Grey, not dimorphic, and the males would still be Dilute.

Back
Top Bottom