I'm back with better pics! Please, please help me. Pretty please? (Pic Heavy)

The second barred has no comb to speak of.

Pretty much what they said. But, that second barred bird may be a dominique, not a rock, cause that doesn't look like a straight comb. I agree the lighter barred bird may be a roo, that's a lotta comb and the coloring is pretty light.

How old are these birds? I don't think murray usually uses packing peanuts, don't you have to order at least 25? Do all the white ones have the same red comb and wattles? I know leghorn pullets grow large combs, but that's a lot for size.

th.gif
A Roo packing peanut. WHY in heck do they pack male birds for people ordering all pullets. Don't they know people have to order pullets for a reason? That's the last MM order I place!

It looks like the ones in the 4th picture are golden laced wyandottes.... and yes it looks like you got some leghorn packing peanuts! and the one in the picture appears to be a roo :)

Thanks for your input. Yes! The BRLW's are so pretty!
The first pic looks like a Blue Red laced Wyandotte
love.gif
(onei would kindly take off your hands), the second looks like a barred rock, the third i am not sure, maybe a maran
hu.gif
, the fourth looks like golden laced wyandottes, the fifth a cochin (not sure on the color), the sixth could be Old English Game bantams (are they bantams?), and the last one i am not sure
hu.gif

I have to disagree with those who think #3 is a barred rock. Barred rocks have single combs and this pullet has a rose comb which would make her a Dominique. #2 is a Barred rock and it is hard to tell if it is a cockerel without seeing the legs too. If it is an older rock then it can very well be female. lets see a pic of the feet. I just know the Rocks and Dominiques for sure. The last group of pullets look like game foul to me. Are their legs clean or feathered. If feathered then they are Brahma because it looks to me like they have pea combs. Good luck with them all and have fun.

Yeah, the straight comb is what makes me think BR, but like I said, we'd need a better photo of him not being cuddled to rule out male Black SexLink. If he was a BSL roo, that would explain why he is growing so fast as they are a quick maturing hybrid. They are also commonly stuck into orders as packing peanuts to get rid of them, because the hybrid is created for eggs, and roos kind of suck at that :p.

Your other barred bird is absolutely a Dominique, they are commonly confused with Barred Rocks, but they have a rose comb instead of a big ol straight comb. Once you know what to start looking for, it really stands out.
#2 - A Barred Rock, really and wow. They must have been packing peanuts too as they weren't on that option of possibilities list for my order. They have grown much faster than the others. IS that a BR trait?

#2 looks Male only because of comb and light color. Looks to be a Barred rock or Black sex link male...even possibly a California grey (production Black) Male
#3 looks female based on dark color. She looks dominique based on rose comb

Last edited:
1. Appears to be a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
2. Looks Like a Marans
3. Barres Rock
4. Golden Laced Wyandotte
5. Silver Penciled Cochin
6. The 2 chicks with the silver necks look alot like my silver phoenix's , however, I would lean more toward Silver Dorkings or Silver Penciled Rock/Wyandotte/Leghorn. Time will tell they are still very young , The chick in the back looks alot like an Egyptian Fayomi but could be a Salmon Faverolles Not 100% on any of them.

The last pic is a "packing peanut" likely a growth enhanced type like a cornish X rock or cornish roaster ....... Hatcheries often get overloaded with these b/c they are for one specific use and if you try to raise them and keep them they will not survive due to the genetic manipulation. Since this causes the birds to be high-maintence they sell poorly at times and are used to fill orders with body heat.

lovely birds

Thanks for letting me GUESS....

Tim

So in my order of 25 pullet chicks, I could have gotten no less than 6 packing peanuts?! All male hybrids. Could you tell if #2 is a BSM or BRM if I post a picture of his feet? Or more of his body and feet?

Yeah, the straight comb is what makes me think BR, but like I said, we'd need a better photo of him not being cuddled to rule out male Black SexLink. If he was a BSL roo, that would explain why he is growing so fast as they are a quick maturing hybrid. They are also commonly stuck into orders as packing peanuts to get rid of them, because the hybrid is created for eggs, and roos kind of suck at that :p.

Your other barred bird is absolutely a Dominique, they are commonly confused with Barred Rocks, but they have a rose comb instead of a big ol straight comb. Once you know what to start looking for, it really stands out.

Back
Top Bottom