I'm going to start building chicken coops for a living :) $$$$$$$

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
I can't believe how much people are asking for them on my local (Portland, OR) Craigslist. Absolutely ridiculous. If people are really paying that much I'll make a killing.

Why not? There are folks, like me, who'd rather pay than build something. Truly. I have two Eglus, and they aren't inexpensive, but they are easy to clean and maintain and I like the look so I bought a couple. If there had been a super stylish coop builder in my area I would have forked out $1000-$1500 for a super cute coop. I say go for it, make yours unique! You may just find a new career path. =0)

I hope your young. I built 5 coops this year & that's one business I want no part of. I don't mind taking care of birds but coop buildings for the birds. If I was a young man I'd do it. Good luck!! I'd hire someone to build me a coop the problem is at least where I'm at nobody wants to work. Heck If I hired someone I'd have to show him how to do it. So, whats the sense. I like big coops here's one I just finished .
63768_texas_flag_006.jpg

Hey... I did fork out that much! Got it off ebay & it was brought to me from Conneticut on a flatbed truck! But my husband got wise to me & he built the run! Go for it!

95611_so_true.jpg

It's not hard to find someone around here who will say they will build a coop, or any of a number of other "handyman" type tasks. But finding one who will do the work promised in the time and for the money promised is quite another thing. An accurate estimate of both time and cost (to them) could well build you a reputation fast, and all the business you want.

Lol!! We just bought our coop from a great guy in portland!! We paid $450 for the coop and an 8 ft run. We realize that our time is valuable, and that a true craftsman is worth the premium paid! The guy we met was fantastic, and I walked away with a BEAUTIFUL coop, and I was happy to support a local craftsmen!

If you really want to build one, I have a couple of designs, but i am NOT a Carpenter! Just an engineer with "cheep" and simple improvements.

Blessed be!

My hubby and I bought our coop from a local guy who was on craigslist. He makes different sizes, painted /unpainted, unpaint. being cheaper of course. My 4X6 coop with 3 nest boxes, one window, a people door and chicken door/ramp and electric wiring was $425. Well worth it considering I had been contemplating rehoming chickens due to hubby's lack of interest in building a coop(his idea to get chicks in first place!).

Good luck with your endeavor!

I had been looking for coops/tractors online and on craigslist for over a month before I decided to build my own. I liked a lot of them but couldn't afford to shell out over $400 for a simple design.

I ended up with a great tractor/coop for around $150 in materials. If I could have found something for around $200-250 I would have bought it to save the trouble.

My suggestion would be to offer a variety of designs and price ranges. I think you'll have more customers than you think.

I've thought of doing it as well. I am a firefighter and i run a carpentry business on the side. I have been trying to change some of my product offerings, and will be advertising chicken coops as well as my sheds as soon as i can catch up on some of my other jobs i have lined up. I was thinking of building the coops in my garage over the winter in hopes of selling them in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom