I'm in Complete shock right now...something abliterated my Silkies

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
hit.gif
:thun
I hope your evenings are all going better then mine. We went to the coast today to visit relatives and came home to 8 dead Silkies.
Something got in my little tractor and tore the Silkies to pieces. Dragon, Ares, Athena, Hera (my perfect mate to Zeus) and my 4 young splash Silkies. For some reason Briar, Zeus and Belle weren't touched and are now in my basement, they don't have a mark on them from what I can see, but Zeus looks like he's in shock or something. I locked up the main coop and am not letting anyone out in the run until I find what did this!
My guess is a stray dog...but of course I can't see any tracks at night and because of the rain last night, everything is iced over, so there probably aren't any!
I'm so mad right now!!! I feel so terrible and I know this could have been prevented...if I had gotten my but in gear and finished the coop I was building for them they would have been safe.
Oh yeah and if things couldn't get any worse, my Phoenix just up an died this morning. Just dead, no reason for it that I can see. He wasn't even sick.
Things like this just want me to sell everyone off and say to heck with it!!
Well, thanks for listening...

Bless your heart. I know it doesn't feel like it but things will get better in a day or two and you can move on. My DH fed chickens for me this morning and one of my largest Black Orp pullets was dead with no apparent reason. I think she might have been eggbound as I saw her standing the coop by herself last nite before they roosted. She didn't have a cold or any other apparent symptoms. I have decided after afew years of raising chickens that you are just going to lose some all along. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat
sad.png
I had a beautiful trio of white rocks and one hen dissapeared & I found her body in a condition that it took me a while to figure out 'what it was' it was so bad...just spinal tissue and a few feathers. And the day she was found, my trio of Lt. Brahmas were out & evidentally my little cockrel decided to go visit the dogs who happily abliged in ending his life.
I don't know how wild dogs do, but my guys happy kill birds, but never eat them or tear them up. I highly suspect a possum, raccoon or something of the like here, maybe the same for you there?
So sorry you lost so many. It's not YOUR fault. Poop happens, nothing you could have done. You've got to live life and get out sometime.
Kristi

Would you like some eggs from mine to hatch???????
I have 2 splash EE bantams in with my silkies and they just started laying little green eggs. If fertile......it would be by a splash silkie rooster. Sometimes we can do the best we can, and something can still happen. They are very vulnerable pets and i think its inevitable that we will all walk in those shoes at one time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom