I'm leaving for the weekend, first time leaving the pullets for more than 5 hours, will they be okay

Radhanuga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
North Carolina
We raised them from chicks, they are about 12 weeks old, girls. I injured my back shorty after we got them so the coop building process has been taking a lot longer than my planned 2 weeks. The girls still are in the house, in a reconverted baby crib, they have room to move around, deep litter, a nice branch for a roost that they use every night, elevated waterer that stays clean for at least 2 days.
They are used to free range all day, from 7 to 7 basically, and then they just come in a jump in their "crib", have a treat and sleep.

I barely supplement with feed (they just don't care about it, we have a big compost pile full of worms and other delicious treats/scraps, that they visit all day, and a nice natural "chicken garden" with all kinds of herbs and weeds they love, they are used to that. We're leaving in a couple hours and won't be back for 36 hours.

A friend will be coming by tonight and tomorrow afternoon to check on them, but they don't know him, so I really don't want him to let them out, and I don't want them alone outside until their permanent coop and run are built, we live near downtown and have a fenced in yard, but we have hawks and a few foxes and raccoons around.

What do I feed them to keep them happy? Will they fight and be super stressed out? Dang I want to cancel this trip, i'm so worried about my girls
hmm.png

Any recommendation for treats/food i can leave with them that will not attract ants into their place but keep them happy?

Also, in case they manage to dump their water (they never have, but being alone and cooped up might change that...), how long can they go without? I'm thinking of asking another friend to come also twice, at different times.

Sorry if I sound ridiculous, I'm brand new at all this, and am trying to do the best I can.
Thank you!

We raised them from chicks, they are about 12 weeks old, girls. I injured my back shorty after we got them so the coop building process has been taking a lot longer than my planned 2 weeks. The girls still are in the house, in a reconverted baby crib, they have room to move around, deep litter, a nice branch for a roost that they use every night, elevated waterer that stays clean for at least 2 days.
They are used to free range all day, from 7 to 7 basically, and then they just come in a jump in their "crib", have a treat and sleep.

I barely supplement with feed (they just don't care about it, we have a big compost pile full of worms and other delicious treats/scraps, that they visit all day, and a nice natural "chicken garden" with all kinds of herbs and weeds they love, they are used to that. We're leaving in a couple hours and won't be back for 36 hours.

A friend will be coming by tonight and tomorrow afternoon to check on them, but they don't know him, so I really don't want him to let them out, and I don't want them alone outside until their permanent coop and run are built, we live near downtown and have a fenced in yard, but we have hawks and a few foxes and raccoons around.

What do I feed them to keep them happy? Will they fight and be super stressed out? Dang I want to cancel this trip, i'm so worried about my girls
hmm.png

Any recommendation for treats/food i can leave with them that will not attract ants into their place but keep them happy?

Also, in case they manage to dump their water (they never have, but being alone and cooped up might change that...), how long can they go without? I'm thinking of asking another friend to come also twice, at different times.

Sorry if I sound ridiculous, I'm brand new at all this, and am trying to do the best I can.
Thank you!
Hi Radhanuga,
I'm sure your babies will be fine for a day and a bit on their own in their 'crib' haha, If i were you i'd leave a feeder or two with their normal feed in it and maybe scatter a couple of handfuls of mealworms (my girls go crazy for mealworms!) or something that they will enjoy scratching and hunting about for in their bedding. Why not try hanging something like a lettuce or a couple of bits of watermelon for them to jump at and peck at? If your friend is coming tonight and tomorrow afternoon i'm sure if he topped up/checked their waterer and feed, and maybe scattered some more treats they will be absolutely fine! I wouldn't worry about them fighting or getting stressed as they are used to their 'crib' and each other.
Sorry if that isn't much help but i tried haha, that's what i would do if i was in your situation :)
Enjoy your trip
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom