I'm new

Chamisagal

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hello. I've been lurking for years. Grew up on farm-mama had egg business in 1960s and kept about 200 hens. All free range.
I currently have 30 hens in 2 separate houses but 1 shared yard. There is 1 overall boss rooster in the tin house and a 2nd lower rank in the cab-over house (he has a lower rank rooster as lieutenant. This 3rd rank Hamburg rooster is the main ranger with hens who jump fence to go free range.) There is also a 4th rooster(to be soup soon as it warms up a bit more)-he still roosts in baby cage. He is in the awful teenage rooster rapist phase. My favorite breeds are Buckeye, Hamburg & Phoenix. Ate the Wyandottes(bullies). Also have tiny D'Anvers (dispatched the roosters-attacked me) and Easter Eggers. If I add more pure breed instead of letting them just heinz57 breed I will add more Hamburg.

Welcome to Backayrd Chickens spoken like a farm girl .. yup have two rooster will go to one soon :lau
I am aiming for 2 for 30 hens but have an existential problem with respect to the 3rd rank boy now named Lazarus. I killed him already once but he came back to life so I have a conundrum. Will wait and see how it plays out. So far he is not abusing the girls.

Back
Top Bottom