Midwest Mix

I don't know if you saw this page, but it provides good info on Sumatras: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/life-out-here/the-coop/poultry-breeds/sumatra

According to them, it is a hardy breed, so there you go.
I haven't not seen that, thanks. Here's the stock I'll be getting: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/life-out-here/the-coop/poultry-breeds/sumatra
I just want to check if you know, breeding projects are pretty expensive and take space. It adds up over time, once you've raised a lot of batches of chicks. And you do have to hatch a lot to get the birds you want.

For my sorta-crazy project, 2 years in now, I hatched most months of both years. In batches ranging from 3 - 48 chicks at a time. Depending on chicken cooperation and pen set ups. That requires infrastructure (multiple grow out spaces) which is what we found the single hardest and most expensive part of making it work.

Almost all of those found new homes, either quickly or slowly depending on the nature of the trait and when it was going to show up. With the number of cockerels and selling as mixed breeds, it means rehoming at a loss, in the red, because of the feed x electric to raise them all.

I recently made it down to 21 birds, which I was really pleased with! But that's before our hatching begins again, I've had to wait on cockerels to grow up enough the last few months.

So one thing it's important to have is a really clear goal. I know of one person that started a project and changed directions a few times and is now 10 years in with birds that are kind of here-there-and-everywhere. I mean, maybe it was fun for him... maybe. But it's not exactly successful.
So are you certain of everything you want? Can you spend some time looking at pictures of different breeds and varieties, and draw some sketches of your ideal bird, to be certain?
I drew a sketch of my goal and fell in love, although my family laughed their heads off at my drawing skills, LOL. Once you have that pure vision... does it match the practical goals you set out with?
I found mine, raised in FL, is not going to be heat hardy. I love the soft floofy feathering and pea combs. I can manage the birds successfully with shade and experience, but I don't intend to market it here. Maybe they will surprise me by virtue of xzy generations being raised in the heat.
And I think I'm still 3 years out at a bare minimum to project completion. It could be a lot longer, but my "solution" to speed it up is to just keep hatching as year round as I can.
Good points, I don't intend to jump all at once. In fact it will be slow going, because until I can expand I only plan to incubate and hatch a few at a time. I'll raise these to harvest, sell or rehome. I just want to get started before another 5 years passes by and I'm thinking why didn't I start now? 🤔

Not as certain as I was when I knew less, but that might be a good thing. I'm more flexible now with the idea of just seeing what happens as opposed to oh I gotta have this or that trait. I'm willing to see where it leads me.

I do like the Barnevelders too. I'm kinda leaning towards solid earth tones. Although I love the ornamentals, I want them to blend in with the environment.

This will be the foundations of my retirement, and maybe birds that will be worthy of passing on for someone else to enjoy.
I've never had a sumatra before, but I can tell you what other breeds I recommend for you to get in the future. I will rate them by friendliness as well as foraging skills (1 is best 10 is still good but wouldn't probably be your first choice.)
1. White plymouth rock
Great free-ranger, super friendly, they aren't that afraid to pick on each other, though they are great with other chickens.
2. Sapphire gem
Awesome breed. Great free-ranger, does good confined, super friendly, great/good with other chickens. Only bad thing though- huge comb, very susceptible to frostbite.
3. Silver-laced wyandotte
Friendly, great forager, does well confined, good with other chickens.
4. Brahma
Easy-going, doesn't pick on other chickens much, pea comb.
5. Black Australorp and black sexlink
They do have a medium-sized single comb but I've never had any problems with them getting frostbite before. They are both very sweet birds, the black sexlink might get picked on.

I hope this helped.
I hear Australorps are pretty popular. I honestly thought my Black Jersey Giants might have either been those or had some of that stock bred in.

Back
Top Bottom