I'm stressing out!!

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I really am...this coop was supposed to take two weekends. I should have known better since both he and I are perfectionists that overdo everything.

Right now I have 19 10 1/2 week old pullets living in a makeshift 5 x 6 ft. pen until I can move them into the coop. I think I can put them in the coop tomorrow except that
the run is being built and there will be nailing on the coop as the run is attached to it. Also, I probably should seal the concrete floor before putting them in. I do plan on
using deep litter so I was hoping I can skip this.

I am going to be gone most of next weekend (leave early am, return early pm for three days straight).

I'm stressing that the chicks will start bad behavior due to being overcrowded. I'm also worried though that if I move them prematurely into the coop the noise of the construction
will also cause them stress.

What's the lesser of two evils?

My chicks were living in the coop when we built the run also. We always use screws anyway because I make lots of mistakes and have to take things apart at least once - too hard if I use nails!! The noise of construction did not bother them a bit, including the use of a chain saw to cut the tops off the 4x4's. They'll be thankful for the room.

Thank You!! I'm new at this...didn't want the noise to drive them to cannibalism! Ready or not, they're going in tomorrow!!!
clap.gif
ya.gif

Heck we moved 75 six week olds into the coop before it was finished. We had a generator running outside an air compressor, framing nailer and a finish nailer and 3 adults working inside a 12x16 coop. My chickens are so tame because of it. They jump right up in your lap if you squat down with them and I'm teaching a few of the really freindly ones to ride on my shoulder. Constant noise and a small level of chaos seems to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom