impatience...

mommy9994

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
central VA
my girls are 17-18 weeks old... I WANT EGGS!!!!
lol.png

Do BSL's start laying earlier than other breeds? I have 11 bsl's, 6 bo's, and 1 slw. The 3 that are 18 weeks are all bsl's, the rest ar 17 weeks.

Me too!! my girls are 17 weeks old today, and I hear cackling from the coop - go running - no eggs! I know that they are not eating them, as no shells, nests not disturbed, etc.
I got really excited when i read that some folks were getting eggs at 14 weeks or so. maybe it's the hot weather.
Mine are BO, AUSTROLORPS, AURICANA, AND A CUCKOO.

I put a couple of wooden eggs in their nest box to give them a hint. Each morning I check, and there are still two wooden eggs.

This morning I checked, and there was only one wooden egg!

"What did you girls do last night??!"
lol.png

After searching a bit, I found it hidden under the bedding in the nest box. I saw it as a good sign that they were scratching around in there.

But still no eggs.

I have plastic easter eggs in with my Easter Egger's(kinda cute we thought) and one real egg. The girls pushed the easter eggs away from the real one and made a little sort of nest around it. They are only 12 weeks. I am taking the real one out today because hubby says they might eat it (definetly don't want that)! I am not expecting eggs soon but it would sure be nice.

Chicks are the same as human females. The reproductory system has to mature before the eggs begin to be laid.

Just like teenage girls begin a monthly cycle chickens do too but only on a daily basis. Like females the cycles vary at so when they start at what age.

You can't make it happen. You can't urge it along by showing them eggs.

Some chickens won't lay before 30 weeks due to the large size of their bodies and the need for their bodies to mature before the eggs begin.

I had jersey giants that did not lay until almost 36 weeks. I have had BO's lay at 24 - 27 weeks. I have had RIRs lay at 19 weeks. I recently had a brahma/orp cross lay at 16 weeks.

It is not good for a pullet to start laying too soon. It burns out the egg plant so to speak and she quits much earlie in life than her hen counterparts.

Don't rush it. You want healthy hens doing the best natural thing more than you want early eggs.

I know MP, it's just the waiting.....

At least Jemima Puddle Duck layed me an egg! no chicken eggs yet, but I have a little funny shaped gray duckie egg!! That was exciting this morning. Jemima is 18 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom