Imprinting question

Very cool information centrachid! Thank you!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think you've misunderstood my question...not if they "imprint" on inantimate objects or places, rather do they "imprint" as in the first living creature they see they automatically draw to it as their "leader" some say "mother".

Quote:
I think that would be an example of training, not imprinting. Completely different in my mind.

Last edited:
Heathero617,

Your definition of imprinting is too specific and to a degree inaccurate.

Even waterfowl do not bond on first thing they see. Bonding process starts pre-hatch and is via auditory signals. Chickens have a broader window for induction of bonding. Visual appearance developes later as bonding signal and in most bird species it is not as important as sound.

The birds come to consider me as a conspecific and as a particular individual to be bonded with. They associate with me in preference to all others, human or fowl, whether food award is present or not.

Imprinting can also be directed towards inanimate objects as indicated previously.

Training is where specific behaviors can be elicited without some sort of bond existing between subject animal and stimuli source. I use that later to get desired performances under a broader range of conditions.

Last edited:
No I do not believe they do, the other comments are based on their own human feelings not real scientific evidence. They are in a self protecting mode at the stage of your chick. They do of course interact with the momma hen, that's just nature. If people over handle their chicks in a futile attempt to humanize them, the chicks just realize it's simpler to just submit and just lay still, that doesn't mean they have imprinted or even know who you are, or have become socialized.

Quote:
A great deal peer reveived scientific evidence exists concerning imprinting in chickens. Most is in German. That interaction with the momma hen and only her is a function of imprinting. We have been raising chickens too much like pet rocks ignoring the complexities of their social repetoire.

I am also a zoologist trained in animal behavior so having a level of expertise.

Quote:
A great deal peer reveived scientific evidence exists concerning imprinting in chickens. Most is in German. That interaction with the momma hen and only her is a function of imprinting. We have been raising chickens too much like pet rocks ignoring the complexities of their social repetoire.

I am also a zoologist trained in animal behavior so having a level of expertise.

Yes I do agree that the Momma hen and the chicks to imprint, the hen is much more involved in the rearing of the chicks, finding food and water, providing a safe and warm enviroment under wing, foraging and fight & flight instincts no question there.

I am questioning the human imprint element, it's just not happening as much as the dotting OCDer's like to think it does. I have raised chickens that are happier/healthier without people always jacking with them and handling trying to make them into a lap pet.

Quote:

Yes I do agree that the Momma hen and the chicks to imprint, the hen is much more involved in the rearing of the chicks, finding food and water, providing a safe and warm enviroment under wing, foraging and fight & flight instincts no question there.

I am questioning the human imprint element, it's just not happening as much as the dotting OCDer's like to think it does. I have raised chickens that are happier/healthier without people always jacking with them and handling trying to make them into a lap pet.

Now I see where you are coming from. The brooder reared with occasional and disruptive handling does dominate the backyard scene. Birds are frightened and avoid handling. I was speaking in terms of capacities for imprinting (on humans) which is a reality for much of my efforts but likely rarely realized with most rearing efforts. In those instances, the bonding is with the brooder unit itself and between chicks. I use that to direct changes in roost location from on ground in chicken tractor to elevated roost in pasture. They treat box like hen.

Although I have read numerous threads where imprinting to yeild lap chickens was realized.

One of my roos that hatched last spring imprinted on me. I always handle all my chicks when they are in the brooder - but he was special from day one - I'd put him back in the brooder, and he would dart right back into my lap and just sit and cuddle. I thought it would go away when he went out to the coop last fall. To this day, as soon as I open the coop door, he is all over me.

Quote:
That sounds like a bird imprinted on you. My early criterian is they will fly out of brooder and follow me around house as I cluck to them. The clinchers are they will not respond to others, including hens doing same and that chicks will become distressed when I am out of sight when they are not in brooder. My birds are imprinted on me and brooder to control stress as I can not bee with them at all times.

Back
Top Bottom