Inaccurate Incubator Thermometer Leads to Very Lengthy Temp Spike

HumbleHen207

Songster
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Maine
Two years ago I purchased an order from Incubator Warehouse that included a 1602N Hova Bator, fan kit, turner, and a digital thermometer. Hatch rates have been okay, but lots of early hatches, and high amounts of death right before hatch. Today I put the mercury thermometer that came with the incubator in out of curiosity and while the digital one read 100.00, the mercury one read a whopping 104! I have begun disregarding the digital one for now, and corrected the temperature. Its two weeks along in the hatch process for some rather pricey orpington (lavenders, lemon cuckoos, BBS, and mottles) eggs, ducks, geese, turkeys, and quail. I have been candling them along through the hatching process, and they seem to have been developing fine, but how is this going to affect everything? Will correcting the temperature now right before the crucial week help increase hatch rates? Anyone have any success stories from a similar situation?

my incubator has jumped all over the place from 96 to 103.4 Fahrenheit.They are doing fine so far, developing healthily and everything. bottom line, I don't think it will hurt them to much.

I am a firm believer that the critters are a lot tougher than they are made out to be. The incubator warehouse thermometer seems to be notorious for being inaccurate. Really wish the company could take the time to make sure they are producing an accurate product, especially when some of us are dealing with valuable, irreplaceable eggs.

I would trust a good digital thermometer before I would a glass one. Glass thermometers should be calibrated to a thermometer that you know to be correct by sliding it up or down on the plate it's attached to.

I have used three glass ones to check the accuracy of the digital, all of the read the same. This electronic thermometer is notorious for being a dud, but I will see about calibrating the glass one just to be sure.

I would trust a good digital thermometer before I would a glass one. Glass thermometers should be calibrated to a thermometer that you know to be correct by sliding it up or down on the plate it's attached to.

I just got one of those digital from IW, hate to hear its junk, I now have 4 different thermometer"s in my 1202, it looks like someone would make one that is quality, I reckon at 15.00 you just cant expect to much...Roost

I am going to look into purchasing the Brinsea thermometer soon, appears to be incredibly reliable. Think it would be worth the investment considering I am taking an interest in hatching more valuable eggs.

I think the temp gauges are pretty decent its the humidity that concerns me, with regular chickens its not as big a deal but when you start getting into the ornamental stuff it really matters, I have been trying to hatch jungle fowl this year and never realized how inept my GQF 1202 was. The same goes for silver pheasant, reeves, and amhurst, that's why I am considering the Brinsea...Roost

I think the temp gauges are pretty decent its the humidity that concerns me, with regular chickens its not as big a deal but when you start getting into the ornamental stuff it really matters, I have been trying to hatch jungle fowl this year and never realized how inept my GQF 1202 was. The same goes for silver pheasant, reeves, and amhurst, that's why I am considering the Brinsea...Roost

I'm just throwing this out there for you or anyone else that may not know this but if you use a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo, it must have the capability of displaying both indoor and outdoor humidity. If it's indoor only, it's reading the humidity in the room where the incubator is because the sensor is in the display unit. If it reads both indoor and outdoor humidity, the sensors are in both the display unit and the part you put outside (or in the incubator). I paid $25 for the one I got at Orscheln's and it's done a great job so far. This is my first hatch and so far I have 7 out of 12 eggs hatched. I'm hoping for 100% but I know that's highly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom