Inbreeding cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all, if they are farm cats, the mom will most likely not birth them near you.
As someone who has had house cats and farm cats, unless they trust you implicitly, they will never have their kittens anywhere near you, so you will not get to watch a live birth unless you have a camera, or you force the cat to stay in the same room as you which would be extremely stressful for the mother.
We got both cats from one of our friends, who has many farm cats. Both are very healthy and I haven’t heard of the parents having any issues. We suppose since it’s Maisy’s first litter, we thought she won’t have many kittens, therefore it won’t do any harm. We would let them have kittens mostly because of the experience. I aspire to be a vet so my mom thought it would be okay to have them mate. Then again, I’m not looking for your opinions, just the facts.
So your friend has many farm cats - do you know how inbred they are? Because that will contribute. They don't discriminate between relatives when they're in heat.
Most of my cats first litters were 6 kittens or more.
In terms of wanting to be a vet, then you should definitely do all the volunteer work you can at clinics and shelters for hands on experience (it also counts towards your application), and study really hard in school to get top marks.
In terms of facts, the fact is that you'll get an COI of 12.5%, which is high in terms of potential defects.

Sup yall, I have two unneutered/unspayed cats. Wesley and Maisy. We want to let them mate to have kittens next year, but we were wondering if it’s safe because they are related. They have the same dad, but different moms. Is it as risky as purely inbreeding true siblings cats? I heard that inbreeding can cause mutations and defects. Please leave as much info as you can. Thanks!
Read this:
https://micatguide.com/can-brother-...hat_Expert_Veterinarians_have_to_say_about_it

I think that this is good advice (in bold):
Are the two cats going to produce a bunch of three-eyed and five-legged kittens? It's possible but probably not. However, even two unrelated, healthy animals can produce unhealthy offspring. Without extensive genetic testing, you aren't going to know. As an aspiring vet, I would assume you also know that pregnancy and labor carry different risks even in animals that are in good condition.

Breeding them just so you can experience it seems like a pretty selfish reason. If you want experience that will actually help in your future education/resume you can volunteer at a shelter or rescue. You could foster already pregnant cats or nurse abandoned kittens. Maybe after you have some hands-on experience with a bunch of homeless/feral cats you'll realize how bad an idea it is to breed your cats just for funzies.

And if you want facts, I suggest you look for research material. There are tons on the internet. Don't post on a public forum and get mad when people give their opinions. If you were looking for an echo chamber to tell you that it's a good idea, this was not the place to post.
As an aspiring vet, ethics should also matter. Thanks to the internet, you can learn quite a lot from reading research papers, or watching videos of what you're after. After all, if they are farm cats, the mom will most likely not birth them near you. Volunteer for a vet clinic. That way you will actually get something useful. Watching a live birth won't do that for you

But if you read through the link above, and think it's safe. :idunno

Money is something else to consider. Will you be able to have the kittens vaccinated, & spayed, or neutered before adopting them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom