incubating african eggs - detached air cell (day 30 - they are hatching!!)

Your description sounds like the ducklings are beginning to manouvre into their hatching positions. You should start to see shadows moving into the air cell space in the next day or so
thumbsup.gif

I hatched 9 ducklings a couple of weeks ago. I studied the process carefully, took lots of notes, and even made a chart.... and so far, this group is completely consistent with the last set. I'm excited because I've got 100% development going in the duckies.... so I'm striving for a perfect hatch. The timing is great, as I will be busy hatching duckies and won't obsess (too much) on my goosies.

Yes, I'm often told I am just like Hermione from Harry Potter.
hide.gif

Pete, a question for you.... What is the sound that goslings make when first breathing in aircell? Is it the same click-click as ducklings? Do they also cheep as soon as they break into aircell?

Hi, when they first internally pip they make they same regular clicking sound as breathing becomes established. On avaerage they start a faint peeping noise about 12-24 hours later although I've had a couple that were peeping very quickly after establishing respiration. As hatching approaches the peeping becomes more regular and louder
wink.png

Good to know what to listen for. Last time, I found using a steth placed on viewing window of my LG still air worked very well for listening to the internal pipping.

I've never tied a stethescope on the outside of the incubator and always hold the broad end of the egg to my ear in a quiet location to confirm internal pipping as the clicking noise is rather faint and irregular at first.

I have a high quality steth that I have had a lot of practice using on horses over the years. I thought I was hearing phantom peeps the last time, so I figured what the heck. I was amazed at the sounds of activity going on in the bator when I placed steth on plastic window (LG still air). I have 2 matching bators, so I could compare the difference to make sure I wasn't hearing things. It was also reassuring to listen to them as they went from internal pip to zip.

This is the morning of day 25. I just did my morning mist/cool, check air cell loss on my goosies. I have them labeled BYC 1-4 (standard africans) and Ebay 1-2 (large dewlap africans).

BYC #1 looks similar to a duck egg on day 21, where I can see the veins still in upper portion and it has not moved upwards towards the back of air cell yet. It is the furthest behind.
BYC #2 is my smallest egg and I am seeing shadowing in back of aircell, but the air cell drop is not very good.
BYC #3 looks pretty full inside and is rocking the most, so it appears to be turning this morning. The aircell drop is ok.
BYC #4 has the biggest aircell change and looks good. It has a nice mass pulsing at back of air cell, but no shadowing yet.

Ebay #1 & #2 (the two with the problem air cells) both look good in that they have larger aircells overall and both have nice masses pulsing at back of air cell, but no shadowing yet.

Since they are starting to roll to air cell side upwards-most, I will stop turning today.

I've also been trying to keep my humidity under 40%, but I am not seeing the kind of drop rate as duck eggs for this stage. So, yesterday I did the mist/cool twice and I am planning to do it 2-3 times today. Is this a good plan?

This is the morning of day 26. I now have shadows in the back of BYC eggs #2 & #4. I can see dark masses pulsing at edge of air cells, but no shadows yet in BYC egg #3 and Ebay egg #2. The other two goosies are working on moving towards the cell. I am keeping bator humidity between 25-30%, cooling 3x per day and misting 2x per day. I am starting to see better air cells in all of them.

We are entering the final stretch and all six goosies are still going strong!!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom