incubating african eggs - detached air cell (day 30 - they are hatching!!)

wee.gif
glad they all joined the party!

External pipping has started on the BYC eggs. It is cool to hear them working away. They do not peep so much like ducks, but rather make a calling sound. eBay eggs are vibrating away too.

Almost have humidity to 70%.... fingers crossed everything goes ok!!

Last edited:
Today is morning of day 29. BYC #2 has externally pipped... the crack is more advanced than the classic tented dimple look of a duck's pip. Looks like the beginning of zipping!! The rest of the eggs are still rocking... but I cannot see pips yet.

I'm having a bit of an anxiety attack at the moment, though, as I may have overcooked them. When I went to bed at midnight, the temp was 99. Hubby checked it at 2:30am. Still 99. Checked it at 7:45am, it was 102!! I quickly turned off heater, opened lid to allow heat to escape, added a bowl of water to help re-boost humidity back 70%. Then watched carefully. All eggs are still moving. Hope I didn't kill anyone!
fl.gif

ETA: #3 just externally pipped!!
wee.gif

Another ETA: #4 just externally pipped and #2 is zipping!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Today is morning of day 29. BYC #2 has externally pipped... the crack is more advanced than the classic tented dimple look of a duck's pip. Looks like the beginning of zipping!! The rest of the eggs are still rocking... but I cannot see pips yet.

I'm having a bit of an anxiety attack at the moment, though, as I may have overcooked them. When I went to bed at midnight, the temp was 99. Hubby checked it at 2:30am. Still 99. Checked it at 7:45am, it was 102!! I quickly turned off heater, opened lid to allow heat to escape, added a bowl of water to help re-boost humidity back 70%. Then watched carefully. All eggs are still moving. Hope I didn't kill anyone!
fl.gif

ETA: #3 just externally pipped!!
wee.gif

Another ETA: #4 just externally pipped and #2 is zipping!!
wee.gif

barnie.gif
the suspence has got to be nerve racking! good luck can't wait for results!

Thanks guys!! It's slow going, but the first three are making progress. The sounds are getting louder... more like a plastic kid's whistle. Ebay egg #2 (the propped up egg) is trying really hard to externally pip now. Not seeing much from the last two, but hoping that they are just a little behind like they have been all along.

Temp is holding at 99; and humidity is sitting at 71%.

It feels like the rotating is taking forever, but the 3 eggs are working hard at cracking the shell. The first egg has cracked about an inch counterclockwise, and the other two are right behind it. eBay egg #2 has pipped, but nothing yet from the last 2. At this rate they probably won't make it out until tomorrow.

Hi -your news all sounds very promising. Our Dewlaps usually extenally pip and over the next 24 hours enlarge the pip further along. Usually its around 36-40 hours after they first externally pip before they rotate fully and its a nerve racking time. Keep your humidity well up now and keep your eye on them. You may need to prepare a box with some towel bedding in so hatchlings can dry off in the incubator. I find the first born knock the other eggs around if they're left on the incubator trays.

Also time to prepare your brooder too
wink.png

Hey Pete! I am stressing and glad to see you. I am worried first egg is not rotating?

Back
Top Bottom