Incubating an egg with a blood spot - good, bad, ugly?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Was candling some eggs for cracks and such before setting a batch to hatch and one had a fairly large blood spot floating in it.
I left it out because there wasn't room in the bator, but wondered can such an egg develop correctly?

Anyone ever set one and had it hatch?

I had something similar happen earlier in the spring. I did have room in the bator so I left it in but was not holding my breath. It never did develop and when I finally did open the egg it had at some point started to grow. I think it must have been left under a broody mom unintentionally for a short time which started the process. Then when it was pulled from the nesting box development stopped.

If you are not going to place it in your bator open it up and take a look. You may find the same thing that I did.

I thought we were the only ones who pre candle.. Oh how naive of me. We started looking for defects because having some shells leaking, causing contamination to surrounding eggs. Not often but a couple times at least. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!".
The eggs slowly tainted a water journal in our LG bator.
As far as making it to development, we discarded the drippers without candling so I have nothing to help elaborate. Nor found the blood spot pre candle.
Thanks for the topic apart..
FC

My BCM almost always lays eggs with blood spots, it is actually a rare experience if we have one without. 2/3 of her eggs hatched in April, her eggs are too dark for me to candle and ever see anything in them, but I am guessing they must of had blood spots in them, since its a very very rare occurrence of her having an egg without. Probably shouldn't hatched out her chicks if this could be passed down....sigh. Will see.

Back
Top Bottom