Incubating and breeding to make blue cayugas

FluffTheDuck

Duck love is recognizable in any language
Nov 26, 2018
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve decided I’m going to incubate my blue Swedish, Smokey,’s eggs. I have a male Cayuga named Oliver and I was wondering if I separate them from the flock and hatch Smokey’s eggs if I would get blue cayugas. Also what would you guys recommend for me to sell them for? I might be selling some, most likely not on BYC though.
Thanks! -fluffy

There is an excellent article by @Pyxis about Mallard derived duck genetics that you should study. Color genetics is very complex and i have not managed to wrap my head around it entirely, there are two alleles in the genome that control the blue color, one suppresses, the other one dilutes… :rolleyes: i still don't understand how all that stuff works together, just have a look at the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/
Thanks! I Will check it out

I’ve decided I’m going to incubate my blue Swedish, Smokey,’s eggs. I have a male Cayuga named Oliver and I was wondering if I separate them from the flock and hatch Smokey’s eggs if I would get blue cayugas. Also what would you guys recommend for me to sell them for? I might be selling some, most likely not on BYC though.
Thanks! -fluffy
I have a blue cayuga. I have a similar question and would like to know what would get from a blue to black cayuga.?

Last edited:
No, blue swedish over a black cayuga will produce ALL mixed breed black and blue ducklings. NONE will be pure blue cayugas
Yeah, I wasn’t expecting pure blue cayugas from them. I’m going to start incubating after Christmas, so between January to March ish. I’ll probably start selling them when I get the hang of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom