Incubating Muscovy Eggs Progress

I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen them do this for a day or two. It looks like they are just starting to drop down. Shadows appear just before internal pip. Eggs can hatch over a period of 2-3 days even. On your day count... day one is 24 hours after you put them in the incubator. I leave babies in the incubator until they dry and then move them into the brooder. My hands are in and out of the incubator even while other eggs are pipping and zipping.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen them do this for a day or two. It looks like they are just starting to drop down. Shadows appear just before internal pip. Eggs can hatch over a period of 2-3 days even. On your day count... day one is 24 hours after you put them in the incubator. I leave babies in the incubator until they dry and then move them into the brooder. My hands are in and out of the incubator even while other eggs are pipping and zipping.
All eggs are shadowing now and pushing against the membrane. I was due to go into lockdown either tomorrow or the day after, so I think all will be good now.. and I won't need to worry about moving any eggs out. If I see some pips from now on I'll go into lockdown. The first two eggs air cells are completely grown now and look perfect, I'm still misting the odd ones out though. Will definitely keep you all up to date with what's going on!
big_smile.png

All eggs are shadowing now and pushing against the membrane. I was due to go into lockdown either tomorrow or the day after, so I think all will be good now.. and I won't need to worry about moving any eggs out. If I see some pips from now on I'll go into lockdown. The first two eggs air cells are completely grown now and look perfect, I'm still misting the odd ones out though. Will definitely keep you all up to date with what's going on!
big_smile.png
Very exciting!!

@Blacklotus Not sure if you have seen this guide but it's very informative and talks about the shadowing https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

"shadows become visible within the air cell. These start at the back of the air cell and over a further 12-24 hours gradually extend down the sides and finally along the front of the air cell. On candling there is often movement visible of the shadows. This change is due to the chick gradually moving into its final hatching position. It gradually draws its head up from a position facing its tail and upwards towards the air cell. When viewed from the air cell end of the egg the chicks head is turned towards the right and under its right wing. With the head and beak lying adjacent to the air cell membrane the chick is ready for internal pipping."

@Blacklotus Not sure if you have seen this guide but it's very informative and talks about the shadowing https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

"shadows become visible within the air cell. These start at the back of the air cell and over a further 12-24 hours gradually extend down the sides and finally along the front of the air cell. On candling there is often movement visible of the shadows. This change is due to the chick gradually moving into its final hatching position. It gradually draws its head up from a position facing its tail and upwards towards the air cell. When viewed from the air cell end of the egg the chicks head is turned towards the right and under its right wing. With the head and beak lying adjacent to the air cell membrane the chick is ready for internal pipping."
Should I take them out of the turner tray now then? and let them rest and get into position? some of the eggs have that big "dip" mentioned in that guide. And it says they no longer need to be turned once that happens.

Last edited:
Should I take them out of the turner tray now then? and let them rest and get into position? some of the eggs have that big "dip" mentioned in that guide. And it says they no longer need to be turned once that happens.

Yes, take them out and lay on their sides with the lowest pt of dip up.

Day 31 today,

All eggs are on the hatcher tray, lockdown is tomorrow, but I think I will just wait until I see some internal pips first before I lockdown. All air cells look like a great size now, I'm super happy that they grew, although I added in a tiny bit of water today, just so the air cells don't get even bigger, and also to start softening the shell for hatch. Some of the eggs are wobbling around like crazy, and I can feel their movements in my hands. I've got two eggs who look like they will hatch first, the shadowing has started moving along the sides of the egg now, but I don't expect any babies yet for another 2-4 days. No internal pips yet unfortunately, but they aren't too far away!

Back
Top Bottom