Muscovy incubation help!!!

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
My neighbor had a Muscovy hen that was nesting in the bushes in front of her house for a while, she was pulling out of her driveway this morning and found the mother duck dead in the road. She knew that I had chickens and an incubator so she gathered the eggs and brought them to me. I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't even know how far along these eggs are? You can see movement and veins but just about all of the egg is dark now! Usually in chickens when it gets that dark it means that the egg is growing close to hatching but I'm not sure if it's the same in ducks, for now I have it in my incubator at 37.5°c with a humidity level of 60. Should I keep turning them like I do chicken eggs while they're in there? I don't know how old they are but they do seem quite heavy and visually developed? Should I send a picture?

Any advice would be great, I'm not experienced with ducks

this may help https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs.63532/
I let my Muscovy hatch and have never tried hatching in a bator don't even have one. But if your see the egg dark inside it means the duckling is at least growing and hopefully will hatch. Are you going to keep the ducklings? They sure can't be put out to fend for themselves.
3 of the 4 hatched, Thank you so much helping me! I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them or not but I'm going to keep them fed until I can find out what I'm doing with them. Can Muscovys be kept with my chickens?

You have them in a brooder for now? My Muscovy have lived with chickens all their lives they like to roost with the chickens too. All but my drake. He likes to sleep on the shavings. Just make sure you introduce them to your chickens slowly so they all get to know each other before you move them into the coop.
Post some pictures when you get time.

You have them in a brooder for now? My Muscovy have lived with chickens all their lives they like to roost with the chickens too. All but my drake. He likes to sleep on the shavings. Just make sure you introduce them to your chickens slowly so they all get to know each other before you move them into the coop.
Post some pictures when you get time.
Of course! I was told to use a heating pad instead of a lamp for them because they can die of stress if the light is too bright??? Is this true?? And I'll post some in the morning!!

I have been using a 125 watt red heat bulb for 5 weeks with my Indian Runner ducks and they are thriving. The white light I wouldn’t use because it will mess up sleep but red is calming. You just have to be careful using a heat lamp making sure it’s secure. If the heat pad is keeping them warm and it's safe then by all means use it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom