Incubating peafowl eggs thread

Just looking at an easy pen,,my india blues. There are 11 peahens in this pen and all are now 5 years old and was hatched and raised here by me.So far I have gotten 60 eggs total from this pen,starting the week of April 27-May4th up till last nights group that was incubated. Thats only 5.45 eggs per hen in the past 6 weeks.But so far my Purple pen has laid 35 eggs with only 6 hens in that pen. Once again 5 raised by me and one hen came from Leggs but all birds are again 5 years old.5.83 eggs per hen so far. 26 Taupe eggs so far with only 3 hens in that pen,two I raised and are 3 years old (BSSP),and one is a Taupe hen, been here her third year now. This is 8.6 eggs per hen so far.

Last edited:
Here's a candling picture from day 5 of incubation.

Hi guys I'm new to peafowl. I got two eggs today from a friend and set them under my broody hen. I'm so excited to see if they will hatch. Wish me luck.

Would you guys think its a better idea to add water during lockdown by inserting a small aquarium hose through one of the vents to fill the water tub without opening the incubator door?

Or its better to open the door for a few seconds to help some air coming in?

Would you guys think its a better idea to add water during lockdown by inserting a small aquarium hose through one of the vents to fill the water tub without opening the incubator door?

Or its better to open the door for a few seconds to help some air coming in?

Personally I prefer letting fresh air in twice a day, even if I am not adding water. I didn't really get to use my new Sportsman for much this year, I set 1 batch of 4 eggs in it start to finish. Got 1 chick so 25% hatch rate, the others were done in the old foam hovabator, 75% hatch rate from that one.
th.gif
Obviously I need to get to know my Sportsman a lot better.

Personally I prefer letting fresh air in twice a day, even if I am not adding water. I didn't really get to use my new Sportsman for much this year, I set 1 batch of 4 eggs in it start to finish. Got 1 chick so 25% hatch rate, the others were done in the old foam hovabator, 75% hatch rate from that one.  :th    Obviously I need to get to know my Sportsman a lot better.

I have got a 5 gap bucket with a tube built in at the bottom I my Sportsman. You can get it separately. My hatch rates for my guineas is 95% and my peas is 65%!

Back
Top Bottom