Incubating Shipped Eggs

Hawk12

Songster
Oct 5, 2015
Hayden, ID
This will be my second time attempting to hatch shipped eggs. I am going to list everything I do this time and hopefully it will result in a successful hatch. The first hatch had very sad results and none of the babies survived. I am trying to learn from my mistakes and make some adjustments to this batch. Please feel free to correct anything I might be doing incorrectly or anything that might help these babies hatch healthy.

1. I am using a still air Styrofoam incubator (I have already asked for a new one for Christmas). I have sterilized it with bleach water from the last batch and washed it with Dawn dish soap. It is set up in a room where the temp remains constant, free from drafts and away from sunny windows.
2. Once the eggs arrive, I will let them set, large end up for 24 hours outside of the incubator to let the air cell try to reset and to allow them to adjust to room temp. Before I put them in the incubator, I will candle them and inspect for detached air cells, gently.
3. I will have the incubator ready with the temp set at 102 degrees and the humidity at 45%. (This has been recommended to me by an experienced hatcher.) I will run it at this humidity until day 12 and then I will lower it to 25%. This will of course depend on the size of the air cell at day 7.
4. I will not turn the eggs for the first 4 days because of the fact that they are shipped. At that point I will start the automatic egg turner.
5. I will candle and mark air cells on days 7, 14 and 18. This is also when I will determine whether or not to adjust the humidity.
6. Someone has recommended that I not turn the eggs past day 14. That scares me a little and any advice on this step would be appreciated.
7. I will lockdown on day 19 and increase the humidity to 65%.
8. The eggs will be placed in paper egg cartons that have been altered for hatching during lockdown.

I have a week to prepare for incubation. I will most likely set them on October 30 or 31st. Not sure how many eggs I will receive as they typically send extra in case any break during shipping. I will be incubating double laced barnevelders and blue laced brahmas.

I will update as needed during the incubation period. Thanks for reading
jumpy.gif

Mine go into lockdown tonight. One thing I've been doing wrong is not lowering the temp for lockdown :( I will post pics tonight after I candle. Really hoping my hatch goes better this time around.

Lots of good advice throughout this post. You definitely want multiple thermometers that you have checked against each other and confirmed that they are correct. You are not going to get any two thermometers to read the exact same. I have 2 digitals plus the one on my bator (but you should never go with the one on the bator alone as they are usually wrong). There are posts in BYC that will tell you how to confirm they are correct.

Humidity is something that I have really changed my mind on. I use to run higher - 45%-55% when I first started. My hatches historically were low - only about 30%. I too now run "dry" during my first 17 days. BUT I do add water if my humidity falls below 30%. Then when I am in lock down I raise it 75%. I do open my bator as the chicks hatch so they do not roll my other eggs around. By keeping my humidity that high I do not have to worry about it falling or shrink wrapping chicks. You are going to have to find what works for you. The best indicator of humidity and whether you have it set right are your air cells. That is why you candle on day 7 and 14. By day 18 you hope that everything is where it needs to be because you do not want small/overly large air cells to be you issue at that point.

I have never heard of not turning eggs during the first 4 days. I have always let my shipped eggs sit for 24 hours to allow them to rest and then I immediately start turning them. Shipped eggs in general have a tougher time. But you can still get a good hatch rate with them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The ones I have left are blue and gold partridge brahmas, chocolate and molted/spangled Orpingtons and 1 maline. I'm trying not to get excited for the hatch but it's hard not to.

Update: It's day 13 and I ended up candling today because I'm going to be gone all weekend. Next candle will be Tuesday evening. I am down to 20 eggs out of 41. I did see a foot tonight, that was cool, never seen that before. The air cells look pretty good although they haven't grown much since day 10. I'll post pictures when I candle on day 18.

Back
Top Bottom