INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have dear here, the last one was hunted in 1910!

that is unfortunate!

Day 18 for one of my broody Seramas!

WOOHOOO!!!!

Never had it.

you should try it!!

What is your favorite cut?

-Kathy

backstrap

How about the liver, heart, and kidneys?

-Kathy

i hear heart is the best part, but i have had none of those parts

We make sure to stock the freezer every fall.  Hardly eat beef anymore; I actually can't really stand the smell of raw beef now that I'm so used to the deer. 

Have you all ever seen a palmated buck?  We're starting to get quite a few in the area.  I think their racks look quite amazing....  I know, I'm setting myself up with that comment.  I tried to hide the picture (we kind of goofed and skinned him BEFORE we remembered to take the picture).

Good lookin deer!

Yes for the dear, it was very un fortunate! :lol:

Onc in granny thread we bilt a full meal menu in case I will come to the USA, the meal that l have in my mind with all the ingredients that you have there will be marvelous!

Even better Kathy!!
No, y'all can't have her; she be all our's
tongue.png

At one time, I installed electric fence for a living. Are you aware (pretty sure you are) that hot wire can be run underground from one run to another, and the "juice" to the different runs can be controlled individually by switches?

Thanks I didn't know that. I was going to move my breeder coop by my big coop, now I don't have to.

Yes I know lol
They are from a puddle in Virginia lol
i am not that crafty you should know this

Check out incubatorwarehouse IncuTurn turner, very similar to the one in the vid, holds any size egg, rolls them, you can leave it in during hatching. Just thin plastic. I have one in my hova-bator.

Are the cuts of meat similar to cattle? Is the liver tasty?

-Kathy

venison and lamb are similar.

How about the liver, heart, and kidneys?

-Kathy

I've never ate kidneys. Venison liver is the only liver I eat (not going to pay for liver) besides chicken's. Little stronger flavored than beef or pork. I found filleting the outside of the liver off makes it more tender.
The hearts great panfried with onions. Sometimes I pickle the hearts, even the tongues.
I make a lot of venison sausage and bologna. And smoked venison hams, pastrami, corned venison, smoked and dried venison Landjäger sausage. Ground and formed venison bacon...

Last edited:
If you have any that are still sick and not drinking enough you can give the liquid undiluted to them for 1-3 days. Do this in addition to their medicated water. Here is a chart for the liquid and the powder. Highlighted in yellow is the liquid. -Kathy
Oh goodness I totally missed that. Thanks Kathy. Idk where my brain was guess I shouldn't get on here before finishing my coffee. Lol
Again thank you all for your help and sympathy. The corid is the liquid and I have been doing two teaspoons per gallon. From what I have found this is correct yes? If there is a chart like the one that was posted for the liquid I would greatly appreciate it. I always want to double check my measurements to be sure that I have it correct. I believe I posted last night that we lost a second chick and it did indeed have bloody stool before it passed. That's something at least to have to confirmation. I'm just hoping we don't lose any more today. We have been doing supportive therapy with the adults but they all seem fine. It has actually been pretty dry here up until the last couple of days while early spring was more wet. It has also been quite hot here too until about yesterday it cooled off a bit. Also thank you yes I know that corid works by stopping the protozoa from reproducing. Which makes me think that the poor babies we lost were just too far gone and too overloaded with the cocci. Will get on and give an update and finish my post this afternoon but right now DH2B is home for lunch so I'm off to go eat and check the flock.
I'll pray for you and your family for whatever your circumstances are.
Also praying.
I actually have never shot a fawn. I'm really a big softy when it comes to animals. I have a hard time even shooting doe. But don't tell no one. I have a rep to protect.
I've known hunters that do and will/have. Not to be frank or offend anyone but I find it hard to respect anyone who has so little respect for innocence and life. Does I understand. I have never hunted myself but my brothers and father and Grandpa all did. DH2B wants to go with my brother and I'm fine with it. Just like with anything I think they're should be boundaries. After all we have size limits on fish and such.
The heart is excellent sauted with onions and mushrooms. I tried the kidneys once and didn't care for the flavor nor texture.
That sounds tasty bring some over here please ;) I too do not like liver and have never had kidneys. A check of the littles shows most of them feeling somewhat better but a few are still plainly miserable. They are however all now drinking. I'm still bummed about the two we've lost so far but I know it could be so so so much worse with over 30 chicks sharing that side of the cooler coop(plenty of space) but of course we all know babies of any kind will try to eat just about anything including each other's poop. Ugh. Lol and even though we try to keep a pretty clean coop it happens. I'm sure it either happened from them going out on grass or from the rain managing to wash over the threshold and get into both side of the coop via the door maybe a week or two ago. The wet bedding was take out that might and replaced so I doubt it was that but it's just so easy to get I'm sure I'll never know. Our first experience was chicks that had spent 5 minutes out on grass one day while we cleaned their brooder. Three or four weeks later they came down with cocci. We would rather not have to use medicated feed every time we hatch chicks as we have hatched over 100 this spring and only this set has had any troubles. But obviously don't mind using anything neccessary to save them. Little wry necked chick is still fighting but today is a bad day. I have read that they will have good days and bad and probably get worse before better, I hope that's right and I'm not losing her. Hope our luck holds out and the littles continue to improve and that we have no more losses today.

you can shoot the spots right off of them.
something to aim for

Okay... so @everyone, do you all remember that video? Anyone know what post that was in, 'cause I'd like to watch it again and explain to everyone why I suspected coccidiosis. Sadly this has been going one now for a long time, so it's quite possible that no amount of medication and/or care will save this chick, and I'd hate to send someone off to spend $25 if money is too tight.

-Kathy
good point

Nope it's a private conversation between you and 30,000 others.
413,411 others to be exact. And then that's just the members.

We don't have dear here, the last one was hunted in 1910!
That's a shame. The old world has lost a lot of nice animals through extirpation.

We are over populated with deer in the US!!!
Some of the cities in my county have a huge problem. Some cities even have deer management websites.
One small town culls over 200 deer every year. Last year they donated 10,000 pounds of venison to the St. Louis area food bank. It's a pretty small town and they have nearly 100 deer/vehicle accidents every year.
http://www.town-and-country.org/DocumentCenter/View/447

Are the cuts of meat similar to cattle? Is the liver tasty?

-Kathy
Yes and yes

What is your favorite cut?

-Kathy
mine are heart and tenderloin.

Yep. The projected outlook for us isn't great but we will see what happens.
Why is that a problem for Washington?
I thought it was to add capacity.

Did you know I lived in Panama for three years during the norega mess. Beautiful country.
The canal was almost built on the Costa Rica/Nicaragua border. The San Juan river flows most of the way to Lake Nicaragua and then it is a short distance to the Pacific.

Nicaragua is still planning on building their own canal. It will be wider, deeper and 3 times as long as the Panama canal and could allow passage of the largest super tankers.

Casportponey But heres a strange thing though I covered them up for about ten mins and then I uncovered and they after fine

Do you think they were cold?

The way I figure it is if I want to eat without cooking it myself then she better get what she wants so I don't starve.
You could always eat it raw.

Runt is the 3rd busiest poster on BYC.

Last edited:
No, y'all can't have her; she be all our's
tongue.png
lol

Thanks I didn't know that. I was going to move my breeder coop by my big coop, now I don't have to.
Check out incubatorwarehouse IncuTurn turner, very similar to the one in the vid, holds any size egg, rolls them, you can leave it in during hatching. Just thin plastic. I have one in my hova-bator.
venison and lamb are similar.
I've never ate kidneys. Venison liver is the only liver I eat (not going to pay for liver) besides chicken's. Little stronger flavored than beef or pork. I found filleting the outside of the liver off makes it more tender.
The hearts great panfried with onions. Sometimes I pickle the hearts, even the tongues.
I make a lot of venison sausage and bologna. And smoked venison hams, pastrami, corned venison, smoked and dried venison Landjäger sausage. Ground and formed venison bacon...
Thanks!

Oh goodness I totally missed that. Thanks Kathy. Idk where my brain was guess I shouldn't get on here before finishing my coffee. Lol

Also praying.
I've known hunters that do and will/have. Not to be frank or offend anyone but I find it hard to respect anyone who has so little respect for innocence and life. Does I understand. I have never hunted myself but my brothers and father and Grandpa all did. DH2B wants to go with my brother and I'm fine with it. Just like with anything I think they're should be boundaries. After all we have size limits on fish and such.
That sounds tasty bring some over here please
wink.png
I too do not like liver and have never had kidneys.

A check of the littles shows most of them feeling somewhat better but a few are still plainly miserable. They are however all now drinking. I'm still bummed about the two we've lost so far but I know it could be so so so much worse with over 30 chicks sharing that side of the cooler coop(plenty of space) but of course we all know babies of any kind will try to eat just about anything including each other's poop. Ugh. Lol and even though we try to keep a pretty clean coop it happens. I'm sure it either happened from them going out on grass or from the rain managing to wash over the threshold and get into both side of the coop via the door maybe a week or two ago. The wet bedding was take out that might and replaced so I doubt it was that but it's just so easy to get I'm sure I'll never know.

Our first experience was chicks that had spent 5 minutes out on grass one day while we cleaned their brooder. Three or four weeks later they came down with cocci. We would rather not have to use medicated feed every time we hatch chicks as we have hatched over 100 this spring and only this set has had any troubles. But obviously don't mind using anything neccessary to save them.

Little wry necked chick is still fighting but today is a bad day. I have read that they will have good days and bad and probably get worse before better, I hope that's right and I'm not losing her.

Hope our luck holds out and the littles continue to improve and that we have no more losses today.
Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom